My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    5/06/2006
    Just Add Water
    Kristie mentioned trads to full length historicals in her comment. I realized I forgot a few authors, who took something old and made it new, and in doing so made a few fans blue.

    Watch it grow

    Elizabeth Lowell did it once or twice:

    This Time Love (based on Sequel, SIM #128), Eden Burning (based on Fires of Eden, SIM #141), Beautiful Dreamer (based on Valley of the Sun, SIM #109), Remember Summer (based on Summer Games, SIM #57), To the Ends of the Earth (based on The Danvers Touch, SIM #18), Where the Heart Is (based on traveling Man, SIM #97), Desert Rain (based on Summer Thunder, SD #77), A Woman Without Lies (based on A Woman Without Lies, SIM #81), Lover in the Rough (based on Lover in the Rough, SIM #34), and Forget Me Not (based on Forget Me Not, SIM #72).

    The only one I have both copies of is Desert Rain/Summer Thunder and I don't think I have read either. I have read This Time Love, Lover in the Rough and Forget Me Not as well as the one I hate To the Ends of the Earth but haven't read the SIMs. So again... can't say if they are better or needed to be expanded - in my opinion.

    I want to say I have read EL say she never set out to write SIM's, so her books were always much longer than the publisher wanted them to be. So I think her purpose in expanding them was to tell the story she had first envisioned.

    Catherine Coulter is another writer who mined her backlist, dusted and created 'new' books. Her first novel, The Autumn Countess became The Countess. The Rebel Bride was first released as a Regency than expanded and released as a historical romance. Lord Deverill's Heir became The Heir, The Generous Earl became The Duke and Lord Harry's Folly became Lord Harry.

    There are a few more... doesn't look like any of her trads stayed that way. CC has a letter written to the reader telling why she reworked the novels and why they will work for you.

    Of course, you might have heard Judith McNaught edited a book of hers, Whitney, My Love. Uh... there were mixed feeling on the subject...

    Mary Jo Putney, the author kristie mentioned has some TRADITIONAL REGENCIES that were expanded. The Would-Be Widow revised into The Bargain, The Controversial Countess became Petals in the Storm, The Rake and the Reformer grew into The Rake and The Rogue and the Runaway revised into Angel Rogue.

    Nicole Jordan has also touched up some older novels. The Lover and The Warrior were both made more PC when they were reissued.

    Personally I liked the newer books but I know some wish the cheating and such had stayed just like it was. Touch of Fire is being reissued in December but I don't think there are any changes being made.

    I am sure I am missing some... what authors can you think of that reissued and revised their work? Do you think it is good or bad? Should even the author of a 'classic' novel not be allowed to change their own work? Or are readers sense of 'ownership' a bit much.

    What the hell makes a book a classic anyway? Can you think of a novel that changed for the better? Or one that didn't work? Is this just a historical thing? I couldn't think of any contemporary novels... maybe that goes back to what is and what isn't PC over the years.
    2 Comments:
    1. The only one at the top of my memory at the moment is Linnea Sinclair, but I'm not sure she counts since hers is a true case of re-editing for the purposes of moving from an ebook publisher to a print one and involves a multi-book deal. And although a few points were changed in the two I've read so far, there wasn't a lot added.

      Otherwise, seems like I remember Jo Beverley mentioning on RRA that a couple of her old ones were re-issued and re-edited at the same time but I have no idea which since she's not an author I track closely.

      By Blogger Bev (BB), at 5/07/2006 07:55:00 AM  

    2. Kay Hooper did an expanded version of a Loveswept--I think the new title was To Catch a Theif. I never read the original but I did like the expanded book.

      By Blogger Amie Stuart, at 5/07/2006 11:25:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home