My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    7/30/2006
    Guess that answers that question

    From HelenKay's blog:
    In the never-ending Aphrodisia v. Brava debate, the editors say: Aphrodisia is about sex and Brava is about romance. Hillary Sares (the main Aphrodisia editor) says the term “erotic romance” with the imprint is a misnomer. The books are not really romance and don’t have to be. Use of the title is for marketing - Kensington wants the books in the romance section and wants to reach romance readers. That’s it. And, the only limit on the sex is that it be legal.


    I have to say this annoys me greatly. Since when is misleading and lying ok marketing?

    What is next, erotic sex in inspirationals? hmmmm

    ::see that isn't as much fun without the lil pictures::

    Labels: , , ,

    8 Comments:
    1. Great post *smirk*

      No commentary?

      By Blogger Angela James, at 7/30/2006 05:41:00 PM  

    2. I live to serve ;)

      I feel like crap so that must be why I am quiet. I will rant about it later. Maybe *g*.

      By Blogger sybil, at 7/30/2006 05:57:00 PM  

    3. ugh. I already wrote my monday morning article but I may have to scrap it. Or should I just recycle the original complaint post to the top. What's ironic is that of all the "erotica" offerings by NY pubbed authors, I think Aphrodisia offers the most romantic stuff out there. Sigh.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/30/2006 08:23:00 PM  

    4. "Since when is misleading and lying ok marketing?"
      You've got to be kidding? Since when has misleading and lying NOT been ok in marketing? That's pretty much the basics of the profession.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/31/2006 01:32:00 AM  

    5. I see that I managed a whooping typo in the portion you excerpted. Yeah, the last sentence should read: "The only LIMIT on the sex is that it be legal."

      Now, some Aphrodisia authors in the audience didn't like the distinction or the idea it was a marketing tool either. They insisted they were writing erotic romance and that the title wasn't just marketing as to them. I haven't read enough Aphrodisia to be able to comment or to have a position on whether or not I'm being led astray by the tagline, but I'm assuming Hillary Sares knows what she's talking about when she says "misnomer" (yeah, that was her word) since she's in charge of Aphrodisia.

      I haven't heard any reader complaints on a bait-and-switch so maybe this hasn't been any issue??? Who knows.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/31/2006 04:29:00 PM  

    6. I keep ASKING someone to write an erotic romance inspirational. I even already have a name for the genre. Insperoticals, lmao. Catchy, right?

      By Blogger Angela James, at 8/01/2006 08:02:00 AM  

    7. Helen, there was alot of discussion on DearAuthor and at Beverly's blog about how much we readers disliked being misled. I have an article for Monday and it's all about trust. We readers will give you (author or publisher) a certain amount of trust and if you break it, we won't be back for a while.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/01/2006 09:38:00 AM  

    8. I think Milla hit it on the head.

      I remember when I used to love to rant...those were the good ol' days. No I take it back, I ranted a little not long ago. http://britblaise.com/blog/?p=28
      I love your blog!

      Brit Blaise
      www.Britblaise.com
      Wild and Wanton – Amber Quill Press – bestseller, now available
      Knights of the Magical Realm: Warriors Gone Wild – Triskelion, now available in ebook & print
      Thoroughly Mannerly Millicent – Avalon, spring of 2007

      By Blogger Brit Blaise, at 12/09/2006 02:43:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home