My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    6/12/2005
    When did the bookstore...
    become the library?

    I mean I know there are coffee shops and such there but am I the only person who doesn't go into a bookstore to read?

    I love the comfy chairs and I will sit down with three or four books and figure out which ones I want. But I don't think I have ever walked into a store, picked up a book, and sat down for a hour or two just to read the book and put it back.

    Is this the norm now days and I'm just slow?
    2 Comments:
    1. Oh, I noticed this in Borders branches in Birmingham, London, Brighton and Glasgow. It [irrationally] irritates me. I feel that these people are taking advantage of the shop's good nature. It doesn't make sense for me to think that! :D Especially when I see books that clearly have been read: cracked spines, dog-eared corners, etc. Drives me nutty. :D
      Perhaps the company encourages it with an idea that with people around reading books would generate 'library' atmosphere, getting other people to buy books? I just can't figure out the psychological angle of it. :<

      By Blogger lost, at 6/12/2005 08:35:00 AM  

    2. True, true, true. At our local Borders, I especially see this in the cafe -- people will bring huge piles of magazines to their table, flip through them while they have their coffee, then just leave them there, looking considerably dog-eared and really not saleable.

      Friday, I ended up finding a spot to sit and write because the cafe was closed and was surprised by the number of people who were plopped on the floor just reading. I'd been a little nervous about taking up floor space with my laptop, but the employee whom I talked to said they'd rather have that -- especially since I'd made a purchase -- than having people manhandle the books without buying.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/12/2005 09:09:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home