My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    4/21/2006
    Westernho

    I started this in response to D.'s post Heathitis ,you say? Is it fatal?, her request for Elizabeth Lowell rec's (to be posted) and the comment about why anyone would want to read a western... I got a lil long. Shocking I know!

    WesternHo
    I am from texas. I have lived here all my life. And omg I am a bad texan. I don't think I would date a cowboy if you paid me. I wouldn't be caught dead in a cowboy hat. Only boots I own have heels and I lament repeatedly that my parents bought land on what use to be a ranch and now live out in the sticks with bugs. Or the Hill Country, whatever you want to call it, the thing I stick on are the bugs and no easy access to a fast internet connection.

    So ummm real isn't what I get out of the western. [of course saying all that, the next guy I date will end up being a cowboy... oy you think after X-Files, Deadwood, Romance Novels and westerns I would know whatever I mock I am gonna love later]

    I like the 'western' idea.

    And as wendy pointed out on kristie's blog, westerns seem to lend themselves to great 'themes'. Want a good cabin romances, you and me against the world, the fight for survival vs fight for a Duke to marry or just a road romance - you will find one in a western. Some really really good ones.

    Keep in mind I don't read romance to fall in love with the hero or the heroine or to want be the heroine. I read them because I want to fall in love with story, with the characters and their love for each other and the idea of a perfect HEA that is forever and evah.

    Westerns should be dirty (not in a good, Sarah McCarthy or Diana Whiteside way *eg*... that is a pun... really no issues with sex... I am very pro sex... no erotica authors were harmed in that statement), think Deadwood. I mean how can you ride through mountains on horse back, with little clothes, living off the land and want to have hot sweaty sex with anyone? But I can get around them not being dirty, most heroines have their ways of keeping clean... I can go with it. And of course the hero is always the one of few guys in the area who care about keeping clean but again, I want to believe!

    And I have found more than one western to make me believe. Hell I am not even one for second chance type romances but westerns can make me buy what they are selling.

    So what westerns have you read and loved? Are you still a western virgin? If so look for some rec's... hopefully tonight depending on how late I have to work. If not for sure this weekend.

    And now that I know how to use the expandable thing, look for Elizabeth Lowell recs... whheee! But first I have to go... be back soon!
    7 Comments:
    1. One western I really enjoyed that is largely overlooked is Claudia Dain's A Kiss to Die For. It's set in Abilene Kansas. It's very hot and dusty. I remember one scene wherein the heroine felt overcome by the dust. She could taste in the back of her throat. It was a big departure from Dain's medeival settings and it also featured a serial killer. Watching them try to figure out "whodunit" without the aid of modern conviences like DNA and forensic science was really enjoyable. Dain has a few writing quirks (the tendency to be repetitive) that don't appeal to everyone but it was an unusual western setting.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/21/2006 01:06:00 PM  

    2. Keep in mind I don't read romance to fall in love with the hero or the heroine or to want be the heroine. I read them because I want to fall in love with story, with the characters and their love for each other and the idea of a perfect HEA that is forever and evah.

      I love this. You should post this as your slogan. (G)

      By Blogger Bev (BB), at 4/21/2006 01:32:00 PM  

    3. I've never read a western...I've purchased a few: 2 Gentry books (I know you dislike her) and 1 old Samantha James...still in my TBR pile...oh, wait...I also have Texas Glory and Texas Destiny by Heath, but I have to buy Texas Splendor before I begin them...I love aristocrats and love the whole rake hero...I'm willing to try westerns, but they're not the first romances I grab. I'm definitely going to try E. Lowell; you and Kristie love her and her reviews have been pretty good.

      By Blogger romancelover, at 4/21/2006 02:19:00 PM  

    4. >>You should post this as your slogan.

      I second the motion!!!!!!!!

      By Blogger Amie Stuart, at 4/21/2006 04:07:00 PM  

    5. **Claudia Dain's A Kiss to Die For**

      I second that! I didn't like her first two books, but that one blew me away. I agree she tends to be repetitive with some bits, but as an overall, it's a good yarn. Worth reading, methinks.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/21/2006 07:54:00 PM  

    6. OMG - Maili, we are separated at birth because I swear I was the only one who read that book.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/21/2006 08:34:00 PM  

    7. Count me in as another one who loved A Kiss to Die For. This was my first Claudia Dain book and I tried her others, but couldn't get into them at all. But AKTDF - now that's a horse of a different colour!

      By Blogger Kristie (J), at 4/22/2006 04:48:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home