My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    4/18/2006
    A year in review... sort of 1997

    1997 RRA-L Romance Awards Nominees and Winners
    The winner in each category is denoted by an asterisk. {click the text to expand the post... just in case you haven't caught on to that yet ;)}

    The best of the best RRA style 1997
    1. Best Short Series Romance:
    *Trust Me on This by Jennifer Crusie
    Irresistible? by Stephanie Bond
    A Man in Demand by Cheryl Anne Porter
    Shotgun Wedding by Alexandra Sellers
    You-Can-t-Make-Me Bride by Leanne Banks
    ------------------------------------------
    Jennifer Crusie!!!! Who knew!!!!!
    hee never heard of this one though... I think I have a Leanne Banks to read that was release with a EL (mucho EL posts coming your way soon)

    2. Best Long Series Romance:
    *Reckless by Ruth Wind
    Another Man's Child by Tara Taylor Quinn
    A Dark and Stormy Night by Anne Stuart (HAR 702)
    Mommy by Surprise by Paula Detmer Riggs
    Hidden Star by Nora Roberts
    -----------------------------------------------------
    You couldn't pay me to read Tara Taylor Quinn. Never read Ruth Wind. Is this Stuart any good?

    3. Best Contemporary Single Title Romance:
    *Nobody's Baby But Mine by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
    The Beach House by Georgia Bockoven
    Finding the Dream by Nora Roberts
    Kill and Tell by Linda Howard
    When Nick Returns by Dee Holmes
    -----------------------------------------------------
    OMG! I am a no good, dirty rotten liar!!!! I have read SUSAN ELIZABETH PHILLIPS and the fact that I have and that I no longer own this book (which I ADORED) only is saved by the fact that it was trashed. BUT before all the GLITTER BABY people fall on the floor in shock and want to kill me (as I would too since, fuck me, the book is going for $20). It fell apart. It was used when I found it, in an old book store that use to be on Evers Road. And the cover was hanging on for dear life for a while. Then it died. I KEPT the book, coverless, wrapped in a rubberband. I think I bought in 91 or 92. But I held on to it until hmmm, I was married prolly second move in Austin so 99/2002. I knew the title and the characters name Fleur. But had no clue this was SEP. Since I am some what out of my Jackie Collins//Judith Krantz phase I never really gave it any thought to try and find another copy of this because I would hate to read it now and no longer adore it. Since uh I guess I still have something of a soft spot for this book. hee that fucker had to fall to pieces before I threw it away. So really uh I might need a rec for a SEP book (other than the $20 book).

    Never heard of Georgia Bockoven. And what the heck is Kill and Tell? That doesn't sound familiar.

    4. Best Historical Single Title Romances:
    *One Perfect Rose by Mary Jo Putney
    Night in Eden by Candice Proctor
    Silent Melody by Mary Balogh
    Texas Destiny by Lorraine Heath
    Wild at Heart by Patricia Gaffney
    ------------------------------------------
    LOOK D. Even RRA thinks you need to read Texas Destiny! Night in Eden is grand. Silent Melody was a Balogh I had a hard time getting through, no longer have it, recall hating the heroine often. Wild at Heart... don't think I have that one but sounds like one I should try.

    5. Best Regency Romance:
    *The Temporary Bride by Mary Balogh
    The Arrangement by Joan Wolf
    The Primrose Path by Barbara Metzger
    Rakehell's Reform by Elizabeth Fairchild
    With This Ring by Carla Kelly
    ------------------------------------------
    so not a trad regency girl... I think I have read that Balogh. Would need to get off my ass and look. So not happening at this second.


    6. Best Romantic Suspense/Mystery/Adventure:
    *Son of the Morning by Linda Howard
    Deep Waters by Jayne Ann Krentz
    Fat Tuesday by Sandra Brown
    Sanctuary by Nora Roberts
    With Every Breath by Beverly Bird
    --------------------------------------------
    SotM is on my tbbought list per Ro. Beverly Bird? LOOK new name! I have 9 SB to read... I need to be in a mood for cheese but doubt I will ever read the RSy ones.


    7. Best Alternative Realities Romance:
    *Vengeance in Death by J. D. Robb
    Born in Twilight by Maggie Shayne
    The Killing Dance by Laurel K Hamilton
    Maiden Voyage by Judith O'Brien
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard
    --------------------------------------------
    Laurel K Hamilton when she was sane!!!!!!!!! Sorry that was mean. I really have a great respect and lurve for Hamilton. She is in fact a big reason I started reading again. Other than Dennis Lehane's Drink Before the War series (seriously fucking good if you haven't read it do... hmmm I shall blog about them one day... not romance but romance is in there somewhere) which my lil shippy heart was rec'ed during an X-Fileless summer, I hadn't read much until I picked up Obsidian Butterfly. Still one of my faves and I wish Edward would come back and maybe kick anita in the ass or something. It isn't the sex. I am very pro-sex you know, but the series just seems lost. And it makes me sad. Of course her blog does too so whatever... hmmm sorry I am very rambly today. Blame it on being off the computer too much today ;).


    8. Best Time Travel Romance:
    *Almost an Angel by Deb Stover
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard
    Maiden Voyage by Judith O'Brien
    Rejar by Dara Joy
    ------------------------------------
    TT oh how I really no like you... SotM I am getting because Ro says so. And Rejar I did adore.

    9. Best Love and Laughter Romance:
    *Nobody's Baby But Mine Susan Elizabeth Phillips
    A Knight to Remember by Christina Dodd
    Outlaw in Paradise by Patricia Gaffney
    Trust Me on This by Jennifer Crusie
    Wonderful by Jill Barnett
    -----------------------------------------
    I am still not clear on what the hell this category means.... Dodd isn't someone I have been able to click with... I think I tried this book and didn't get far. This is a Gaffney that sounds like a western... I don't have! Kristie! What is this about? Barnett is tbr.

    10. (Not included for 1997 because of insufficient nominations.)
    I looked so you don't have too: Best Multicultural Romance is what is missing. Yes Monica this is your que to rant. Or rec! What Multicultural books come out in 1997 that we should read that were over looked? (I really doubt she will be by so anyone feel free to rec or rant at will)


    11. Best All-Around 1997 Romance:
    *One Perfect Rose by Mary Jo Putney
    A Cherished Reward by Rachelle Nelson
    Heavenly Bliss by Sara Jarrod
    The Promise of Jenny Jones by Maggie Osborne
    Texas Destiny by Lorraine Heath
    -------------------------------------------------
    oooooooohhhhhh TPoJJ - D. Make a note... another western you should read. Rachelle Nelson and Sara Jarrod sound familiar but I am not placing the books.


    1997 AUTHOR AWARDS
    12. Best Contemporary Author:
    *Susan Elizabeth Phillips
    Georgia Bockoven
    Justine Davis
    Nora Roberts
    Dee Holmes
    ---------------------------
    SEP! hee you know, even if I never read another one of her books I will still adore her now. Funny that...

    13. Best Historical Romance Author:
    *Mary Jo Putney
    Patricia Gaffney
    Lorraine Heath
    Cheryl Anne Porter
    Penelope Williamson
    -------------------------------
    PG - check, LH - check (westerns!), CAP... is this when she was doing westerns? PW - check... MJP is the only one I haven't read here. I am not sure why, maybe I lumped her in with Nora and Amanda (damn good company to be in but just can't seem to get around to reading them... maybe cuz I so know they are not missing having me as a reader? Weird yes I know)

    14. Best Series/Category Author:
    *Jennifer Crusie
    Leanne Banks
    Cheryl Reavis
    Paula Detmer Riggs
    Ruth Wind
    ----------------------------------
    Davis not doing Categories now?

    15. Best Regency Author:
    *Jo Beverley
    Mary Balogh
    Elizabeth Fairchild
    Carla Kelly
    Joan Wolf

    16. Best All-Around Romance Author:
    *Nora Roberts
    Patricia Gaffney
    Kristin Hannah
    Mary Jo Putney
    Susan Elizabeth Phillips
    ------------------------------------
    Que Shock!

    BEST ROMANCE CLASSICS
    17. Best Classic Historical Romances:
    *River of Fire by Mary Jo Putney
    Carnal Innocence by Nora Roberts
    Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale
    If You Believe by Kristin Hannah
    To Love and To Cherish by Patricia Gaffney
    -------------------------------------------
    hmmmm River of Fire? Good starting place? Carnal Innocence...
    TLaTC - grand book! If You Believe is tbr. And Flowers is not a good Kinsale for me. Very meh I think. But hey many many love it...

    18. Best Classic Contemporary Romances:
    *It Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
    The Morning Side of Dawn by Justine Davis
    Morning Glory by LaVyrle Spencer
    Public Secrets by Nora Roberts
    When Nick Returns by Dee Holmes
    --------------------------------------------
    Morning Glory oh how I miss you so!!! Note to self don't lend books to people you don't know well! Public Secrets?!? Hey I owned that! For a while! Never read it though, don't remember it being Nora. Something on a boat I think?

    19. Best Classic All-Around Favorite Romance:
    *Outlander by Diana Gabladon
    Flowers in the Storm by Laura Kinsale
    Jane Eyre by Emily Bronte
    River of Fire by Mary Jo Putney
    To Love and To Cherish by Patricia Gaffney
    -----------------------------------------------
    Can't say any of these would make my top fave all around Classic's

    20. Best Classic Regency Romance:
    *The Rake and the Reformer by Mary Jo Putney
    The Duke's Wager by Edith Layton
    Miss Grimsley's Oxford Career by Carla Kelly
    These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer
    An Unwilling Bride by Jo Beverley

    21. Best Classic Series Romance:
    *Getting Rid of Bradley by Jennifer Crusie
    Another Man's Child by Tara Taylor Quinn
    Lightning that Lingers by Sharon and Tom Curtis
    The Morning Side of Dawn by Justine Davis
    A Rose for Maggie by Kathleen Korbel
    --------------------------------------------
    I really need Lightning that Lingers

    22. Best All-Around Classic Romance Author:
    *Mary Jo Putney
    Georgette Heyer
    Laura Kinsale
    Susan Elizabeth Phillips
    Nora Roberts
    ----------------------------------------------
    never read GH

    23. Best Romance Cover:
    *Tallchief by Dinah McCall
    Shades of Rose by Deb Stover
    To Marry a British Lord by Judith O'Brien
    Tonight or Never by Dara Joy
    You Belong to Me by Nan Ryan
    -----------------------------------------------
    aka tara's category ;)
    OMFG what the hell is Tonight or Never doing here? I just reread that (blog posting coming after I finish my EL spam and SJ posts) That is just so not a good cover. Oddly appealing book though.

    24. Romance with Best Sweet Love Scene:
    *Cupid's Mistake by Karen Harbaugh
    A Cherished Reward by Rachelle Nelson
    A Company of Swans by Eva Ibbotson
    Mariah by Sandra Canfield
    Summer Fancy by Anne Avery
    ----------------------------------------
    Would it shock anyone if I said I haven't read any of the sweet romances? Do have a HH by AA to read.

    25. Romances with Best Spicy Love Scene:
    *After the Night by Linda Howard
    Heaven Above by Sara Jarrod
    Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
    Silver Flame by Susan Johnson
    You Belong to My Heart by Nan Ryan
    ------------------------------------------
    I really love Linda Howard books. And am on a current read... Duncan's Bride (yahoo list), Sarah's Child (tara's fault), Dream Man (Lauren's rec) and Heart of Fire (Dylan's rec). All four will be first time reads for me, cool huh? After the Night is a hard book for me to read, I just feel soooooooo bad for her and can't figure out WHY she stays and puts up with that shit. But HAWT it is.

    Sara Jarrod... really need to look her up
    Silver Flame! I have read it but don't recall it at all. Read one Nan Ryan and it blew (not in a spicy kind of way) and well I have already talked about LOS


    hee more later... not that anyone cares but I am amused *g*
    3 Comments:
    1. Acckk! another reason to have that party. I read Outlaws in Paradise but I don't really remember it. If you want a good Gaffney western though try Crooked Hearts. Now that one I remember. And must - simply MUST read Wild at Heart - my favourite Gaffney of all!

      By Blogger Kristie (J), at 4/18/2006 07:03:00 AM  

    2. I love Anne Stuart. She does the dark, tortured hero really well.

      :-)

      By Blogger Shiloh Walker, at 4/19/2006 08:20:00 PM  

    3. Yes kristie! A must!

      hey shiloh
      I have only read Rose at Midnight but have Dark Lord something or other to read.

      Would like to try some of her old categories I think... cuz I am odd like that ;).

      By Blogger sybil, at 4/19/2006 10:01:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home