My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    8/13/2006
    Beyond Forbidden Nights and Wicked Seasons
    [click the question to see answer]


    Your first book was published in 1984 and the zebra site says you have 18 historical romances, 3 short stories, and 1 novella. I so thought I counted more on your site.

    In your over 20 years in publishing you have stayed with Zebra. That seems amazing, especially when you add in the fact you are still writing historicals. (THANK you)


    {Jo Goodman} Someone probably needs to update the Zebra site. I think I have about 25 historicals. Don’t make me count.



    What are your views on where romance is today? How is it different than when you started? Do you think the historical is dead?

    Or did you get the memo *g* although I think they are now saying the historical is making a come back. At least that is some of the buzz from RWA. Can I get an oath in blood you won't stop writing
    historicals or do a paranormal?

    please *g*


    {Jo Goodman} I don’t have any plans to stop writing historicals. I still write for myself. I’m pretty sure I would write even if I didn’t have a contract - although I hope you understand I don’t want to put that to the test.

    I haven’t given much thought to where romance is today. I assume you’re talking about romance publishing. It’s not much of a consideration for me. Wait, it’s not a consideration at all. I’m guessing that’s a good and bad thing.

    I’m not particularly aware of trends which I suppose works for and against me. Probably the only area outside of traditional historicals that interests me is time travel, but if I did something like that it would be as much about the “science” as it would be about the romance. I’d probably veer more toward sci-fi. I wrote a contemporary a few years back that’s fairly different from my historicals. We’ll see.

    I don’t know enough to say whether the historical is dead. It seems to have a loyal base.


    What do you think of the 'hot' trends right now with paranormals and erotic romance?


    I generally skip the 'usual' question that have been answered in 20 different interviews but since I can't find any interviews with you....


    What do you enjoy reading?

    {Jo Goodman} I’m generally an adventure, espionage, mystery person. I think Harlan Coben’s Myron Bolitar series is just terrific.

    I’m a Jeffrey Deaver fan. Gabaldon, of course. Mary Balogh. Jennifer Cruisie’s Bet Me was to die for. SEP - especially listening to them on tape. Classics that I love are The Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers. The book that means the most to me for a lot of different reasons is Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged.


    What is the last book you finished? Or do you even have time to crack open a book?

    {Jo Goodman} Because I just finished a manuscript, I finally got around to reading Harlan Coben’s latest, Promise Me. I can’t read books while I’m writing one.


    What one book of yours would you want everyone to read?


    {Jo Goodman} I just want everyone to read one of my books. That’d be nice.

    I’m going to fudge this answer and say the Compass Club series. That’s because it was such hard work because of the intertwining story lines. Sometimes I imagine pulling the 4 stories together into one massive book.



    Do you have a book you wish you hadn't written or would change if you had the chance?

    {Jo Goodman} I have things I wish I had done differently, but no book that I’m not satisfied with. It’s no good second guessing books that were written 20 years ago. Actually, it was longer ago than that. My first book was published in 1984, but it was written 5 years earlier. I was 26. What did I know?




    What advice would you give to a newbie writer?

    {Jo Goodman} Write that story that’s in your head that you just can’t shake. Write it for yourself so that no matter what happens, you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing you did it from beginning to end. Stop going to lectures about how-to and start writing. Keep writing. Write.



    What's next?

    {Jo Goodman} That’s so far off, let’s just wait a bit longer, shall we?
    3 Comments:
    1. Wow!! Huge thank you to Jo Goodman and Sybil for adding more books to my TBB pile! The answers to the most commonly asked questions guarantee I need to read one of her books NOW!

      CindyS

      By Blogger CindyS, at 8/13/2006 01:30:00 AM  

    2. Oh Cindy - you do! You really do need to read some of her books. She is a wonderful writer.

      By Blogger Kristie (J), at 8/13/2006 06:58:00 AM  

    3. I really enjoy Jo Goodman's books as well and recommend them.

      By Blogger Jennifer Y., at 8/13/2006 11:18:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home