My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    8/31/2006
    oh grow up
    So, I finished the book, but I feel as if I was kidnapped and victimized by Brockmann's skill as a writer.


    I am not a writer but that seems to be a pretty big complement *g*. The post is by a LyndaX at aar. The complaint itself, regarding violence in romance isn't a new one.

    But can we as readers, blame an author, because we read their book? And who gets to set the rules? Who gets to say, okay no one cross this line because it upsets me.

    If you read the last line in the post, the reader is tossing her hair and storming out of the message board to go email the author and the publisher. My question is why? What would you hope to accomplish with that?

    Of course I feel the same way about violence in romance as I do about bad bad words. Although I did love harlequin's response to one of the posters.

    I complain about the lack of westerns and the smaller numbers of historicals. But in saying this I am not trying to take away books other people are reading and enjoying.

    Have you ever emailed or snail mailed an author? What moved you to write? What kind of response can you give or expect from saying 'your books are too violent, dirty, fill with naughty words, so forth and so on'?

    I think I would write back saying grow up and don't buy anymore of my fucking books.

    Which is one more reason why it is a good thing I don't write *g*.
    8 Comments:
    1. *headdesk*

      Violence and bad words. That's pretty much my entire book.

      Oh, and the sex.

      I honestly won't know how to respond if someone flames me with a response like that tells me I shouldn't use violence or cursing. I hope respond as gracefully as Lauren, and not say: "she's the daughter of Satan, how the fuck do you think she'd talk?"

      Christ, my grandpa was a preacher, and I talk like Satan's daughter, too.

      By Blogger meljean brook, at 8/31/2006 02:13:00 PM  

    2. Oh my god. Sorry about the incoherence of that post. Off to get caffeine.

      By Blogger meljean brook, at 8/31/2006 02:15:00 PM  

    3. "I think I would write back saying grow up and don't buy anymore of my fucking books."

      LOL. Funny you say that. Ever read Christopher Moore? He's not a romance writer but he did write something similar to your thoughts in response to getting emails about the profanity in his books. It was so sarcastic and funny! If I wasn't interested in his books already, I might've picked them up just for that. LOL.

      Anyway, violence in romance? Foul mouths? It doesn't bother me and really, in some books, it's to be expected but even if I was offended, to email an author just so say "I hated the foul language and blah blah blah"...waste of effort IMO. I mean, what's the point? Besides just getting it off your chest I guess...lol.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/31/2006 02:37:00 PM  

    4. I don't think I would ever write to an author to complain about their books. If I don't like it, don't buy it and don't recommend it.

      By Blogger Kris, at 8/31/2006 05:08:00 PM  

    5. Uh-oh, Sybil. I wanted to send you my December release, the medieval, to review but if you don't like violence...you probably won't like the book much. It's pretty bloody.

      By Blogger Stacia, at 8/31/2006 06:28:00 PM  

    6. I kind of wondered at the post at AAR too, but when I read all those posts at the Diane Palmer, I rolled my eyes they almost came out of their socketts! FWIW I'm an older reader who luuurrrvvveesss the sex scenes in books - as long as there is good character development too. As far as cussin' goes, I'm not much of one myself but as Lauren said - if I were to read 'shucky darn' when some bad ass type hero did something, I think I'd be closing the book on that one.
      And nope - I've never emailed an author when I read something I don't like in their books. I wouldn't even think of doing something like that for the same reason Wendy gives.

      By Blogger Kristie (J), at 8/31/2006 09:36:00 PM  

    7. ditto-ing (is that a word?) Wendy and Kristie.

      By Blogger Tara Marie, at 9/01/2006 07:53:00 AM  

    8. Lauren: That was great you answered her. Really I guess an author should answer email even if the person is fucknuts. At least the first time... saying thanks for reading *g*.

      Which would prolly annoy them more so could be why I like the idea ;).

      Meljean: I think your response would rock. heeeeeee

      Chica: nope never read him but picked up a few of his books at one time or another...

      Wendy: you are a deviant, I like that about you! LOL I will forever now think of you as
      World's Most Liberal Librarian
      with a cape

      Kris: I would prolly tell an author I didn't like their book if I emailed with them often and if asked. Otherwise I just can't see going out of your way to say hey stranger x, your book sucks. you are welcome reader z

      December: I have no issue with violence in romance. I admit I don't read a lot of the ultra violent stuff because it fucks with my happy happy joy joy buzz. But to me it plays into the time period. You can read Garwood for a feel good medieval that isn't at all true to life, other than that I think you take your chances.

      And I like medievals... so bring it on.

      Kristie: You may have guessed I have no issue with cussing *g* but I hide that fact well. hee

      Tara: Welcome back! hey did you see the lf post I did just for you?

      Emma: That seems to be the smartest thing, but the 'omg I couldn't resist the power of the writer' thing throws out voting with your money.

      Really emma you want people to be responsible for their own reading choices? You silly author you...

      By Blogger sybil, at 9/01/2006 10:35:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home