My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    8/29/2006
    You Give Love a Bad Name
    I am on very few yahoo groups. I think there are six: three author lists, two historical reader lists and a trade group. Oh and there is the brotherhood list but it is no mail because there is no way in hell I could keep up with it, but I do go check it out once in a blue moon.

    The rest are author only, newsletter or update type lists. LOVE those... really every author should have one. Even if you don't pay for a professional newsletter or have the puter skills to do one, a simple text post is grand. And if you don't have a website, this lil reader thinks this is a must. Linda Howard I am looking at you! LOL not that you see it but it is the thought that counts *g*.

    So I am not 'up' on the common rules of these things, at least in romanceland.

    But if out of a 25 post digest, there are seven posts from you and your significant other talking about your lust and/or love for one another in addition to another six posts from other members talking about your lust and/or love for one another, you need to shut up about it.

    Or is it just me that finds that crap annoying, boring and stupid. If you need an audience to talk to the lurve of your life, I think one or all of three things.

    A. you are a sock and playing both the love and the lovee
    B. things aren't really all that at home
    C. you are both attention whores

    GET. A. ROOM. Crazy thing... but people might be looking for book info, excerpts and things to do with the writing. I know I should just unsub and now recall why I generally delete the digest without even opening them.

    This is prolly common on old lists where people are friends and have known members forever and ever. But yahoo groups are free! Go create one just for your group or something. Or make the personal chatty posts but don't carry it... and on... and on... where it hits over four digests (that is over 100 posts at 25 a digest).

    Am I just being a bitch and not understanding the 'fun'. The group's description does list 'everything under the sun' as allowable posts. But long ass conversations about your lurve seem above and beyond. And the list isn't a fan list or a discussion list but THE AUTHOR list. As this is not the first time I have seen this type of thing on list I am changing my membership to Special Notices - Receive only important email notices from the group moderator. And will just visit via web when I want to look for info. LOL after all that my question is:

    Is this is common and acceptable on many author lists?


    And for the love of god, cut the text in the posts when you are replying. Really I think that is what pushed me over the edge, not the 15 out of 25 posts in the last four digests but the one to two sentence replies on top of 10 other replies for one post.

    In case you don't know this... that makes scrolling through the digest a pain and even with the cool new set up yahoo is using for digest form it makes understanding where posts end and a new one begin difficult. If it causes the digest to be long enough, gmail doesn't display the whole thing. So you have to click a link and wait for it to load to read the full digest. I hate to think how long this takes for people with dial up.

    So please try to trim your posts when you reply and leave only what you are replying too! LOL sez I.
    10 Comments:
    1. OMGs someone actually did this?

      By Blogger Stacia, at 8/29/2006 01:56:00 PM  

    2. What?!? Are you saying there's an author loop where the author and spouse chit chat about their sex romps and great big love/lust for each other all the time? Are you kidding? How did I miss this?

      And, I've been hunting for a Linda Howard site for, well, ever. My understanding is that she had a bad experience with a fan (ie, stalker) and now won't have a website as a result. I'm kind of hoping that's a fable and a website is in progress somewhere, but I don't think so. Guess she's doing just fine without one.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/29/2006 01:56:00 PM  

    3. Are you talking about the epublished author yahoo group where the lovers talk about their weekend together etc. Because that list kind of grosses me out.

      Yes, with the editing of replies. Duh. And yes, with enough about your personal life. It's the reason I left the Jenny Crusie group. Only about 1 in 100 posts are actually about JC's books. The rest is about every other person's personal life. I don't know of one yahoo group who hasn't strayed into this territory.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/29/2006 02:14:00 PM  

    4. You referring to an EC author Yahoo list? Is it the one where two of the members are having an affair, and don't mind who knows?

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/29/2006 04:51:00 PM  

    5. geez, i knew i was missing something...

      the DH never joined the list so how can me make kissy kissy on there?

      adding that to his to do list!

      ;p

      By Blogger Shiloh Walker, at 8/29/2006 07:38:00 PM  

    6. Oh yes please on the editing!!! Yikes!

      I was unaware of the lurve-fest on a Yahoo group...I must not be on that one. I'm intrigued now, though. LOL

      By Blogger C2, at 8/29/2006 07:42:00 PM  

    7. Damn, Karen, what group are you talking about? Having an affair and broadcasting it across the yahoo group - are you kidding? Please be kidding. Please.

      And some authors wonder why readers are creeped out and turned off by these behaviors... Good grief!

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/29/2006 08:30:00 PM  

    8. I want to know who! *g*

      I'm mostly on mailing lists, not chat lists. People on chat lists often annoy me, so I just don't.

      By Blogger May, at 8/29/2006 10:00:00 PM  

    9. I'm only in two Yahoo groups, a trading one and one for a rather obscure author started by her fans. It's quite a silent group so this stuff you are talking about is completely over my head, but reading what seems to going on - yuckers!!

      By Blogger Kristie (J), at 8/30/2006 08:07:00 AM  

    10. On some large loops, there's always someone who thinks the group is his/her personal support forum. They post all these minutiae about their daily lives, including squick-worthy details, and there are still people who feed the beast by responding.

      If things get really ridiculous, I do what you did, Sybil, and switch to Special Notice or Web Only. Unfortunately, if you're a moderator or in some other way required to read what's going on, you can't do that.

      By Blogger Lynne Simpson, at 8/30/2006 11:17:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home