My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    9/07/2006
    Why Western Romances?
    How did I end up writing western romances?

    A lot of it has to do with my mom's addiction to the small screen westerns.

    I grew up watching The Virginian, High Chaparral, Lancer, Wagon Train, Guns of Will Sonnett (how many remember that one?), etc.

    I read all the Roy Rogers books in our small town library. Later on, I read Louis L'Amour, Zane Grey, the Stagecoach Series, etc.

    Then I moved on to Dorothy Garlock, Janet Dailey, Joanna Lindsey, Maggie Osborne, and all those western romance writers who have since ridden into the sunset. I always wanted to write and with my love of the western, it just had to be.

    What I am Reading Now...
    However, one of the side effects of writing western romance is that I can't read them while I'm working on one of my own. Instead, I now read more mystery and fantasy, which kind of follows my TV viewing pattern, too, since I'm a "Stargate SG1" fan, as well as an avid viewer of many of the crime dramas, like "CSI", "Numbers", and "Bones."

    I've recently read "Warsworn", a fantasy romance by Elizabeth Vaughan, which was preceded by her wonderful "Warprize." Prior to that, I read David B. Coe's "Winds of the Forelands" fantasy series and I'm anxiously awaiting the fifth book.

    Waiting in the wings is another fantasy series from Robin Hobb, who writes wonderfully wounded, tragic heroes. Also on my TBR pile is Michael Koryta's mystery "Tonight I said Goodbye".

    The adage "so many books, so little time" is so true. :::sigh:::

    [note: beta blogger is being goofy if you have issues posting use the option 'other' and type in your name... if you use anon, make sure you type your name in the post]
    6 Comments:
    1. I think that's why I love Westerns too. I grew up watching all those old ones, Bonanza, The Rifleman, Big Valley, Gunsmoke, The Virginian and yes The Guns of Will Sonnet. And how can forget Rawhide - and a yummy Clint Eastwood. And I had such a crush when I was a young thing on Doug Mclure as Trampas!
      I, like so many others who love a good Western, are so sad to see there are so few being published these days. In fact I've even written to a publisher to thank them for still publishing Westerns. Not that I have anything against the current deluge of paranormals, but there is something so basic about the Western. I'd love to see them make a comeback and hopefully if we keep plugging them, the PTB just might start listening. I'm glad I have your books current and back list, to look forward too!

      By Blogger Kristie (J), at 9/07/2006 08:55:00 AM  

    2. Publishers need to hear there are readers out there for a genre they consider "dead". Thank you so much for taking the time to thank one who is pub'ing them.
      In re of the small screen westerns. I met James Drury a few years ago when I was at the RT convention in Houston--nice nice man. I thanked him for his wonderful portrayal of the Virginian and how his and other westerns influenced me. He was so gracious--and grateful to know that what he did all those years ago touched somebody so profoundly.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/07/2006 11:04:00 AM  

    3. I think that may be why I enjoy westerns as well...I grew watching them with my dad.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/07/2006 11:33:00 AM  

    4. Little Jo, Trampas, the Virginian (did they ever say his name? I don't remember if they did!), Lucas McCain, Heath Barkley -- I was always in love growing up! I still watch all those shows on TVLand, even if I've seen them a hundred times. I never get tired of them and there's such great memories of a simpler time.
      Thanks for your westerns too, Maureen!

      Sandy

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/07/2006 02:20:00 PM  

    5. I also was influenced by my father's love of westerns. Growing up we would watch them all the time together. Then later on I added on series like Big Valley and Bonanza and watched those regularly.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/07/2006 03:08:00 PM  

    6. I love reading a variety too! So I rotate what I read, but always read a historical each week.
      I loved Little House On The Prairie (too when I had a reading slump I went and got the book and read it and it was a wonderful comfort read!) But too I love historical mysteries. Some wonderful ones out there, but I haven't seen any western ones yet :( Its always interesting to see what the author likes to read too!
      Cathie
      http://tbranxiety.blogspot.com

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/07/2006 11:01:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home