My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    12/14/2006
    Review: High Stakes by Erin McCarthy
    High Stakes: A Tale of Vegas Vampires by Erin McCarthy


    This is the first book in Erin McCarthy's new series. A paranormal vampire series with a high funny factor... No! Wait! Come back... It is good!


    Alexis arrives at Ethan Carrick's Vegas hotel ready to kick ass and take names. The plan is to knock some sense into her baby sister who closed her dentist practice and moved in with some rich hotel owner she just met.


    Alexis is smart, successful and has been taking care of Brittany since their stripper mommy died. She knows she can do anything she sets her mind to and can take care of herself. Alexis also thinks she needs to do the same for Brittany and hasn't quite caught on that her baby sister is all grown up. And as confident as she is in her mind she is equally unconfident in her looks.


    Basically our girl has some serious control issues and low self esteem in the looks department.


    The baby sister, Brittany Baldizzi, is the girl next door, if your door happens to be in Las Vegas. She has more beauty and heart than brains but Brittany isn't a dumb bunny. Although she is aware people see her as just another pretty face.


    Ethan Carrick is the leader of the 'undead world' and would like to stay that way. In typical politician fashion he thinks (and is being told) the best way to win another 40 years as vampire president is to clean up is playboy image and marry a good woman. Only this is vegas baby and he is a vamp - so good woman equals a hottie impure (a human with a vampire daddy) and not Jackie O.


    It takes about five seconds with Alexis for Ethan to learn marrying Brit isn't an option. And even though he knows the house always wins, he can't help but take a gamble on Alexis. Alexis figures playing some freaky wanna be vamp's girlfriend is the quickest way to get her baby sister out of "harms way". And Brittany just wants to save their souls from hell. Oh and then there is the guy trying to 'kill' Ethan, one trying to beat him and another trying to cure him.


    All in all good times. We do end up spending too much time in with the bad guys. And I have to confess I didn't care much about them. But it didn't take away from Ethan and Alexis's romance so I can't complain too much.


    When I heard Erin McCarthy was the next author to pony up a vamp series I rolled my eyes, whined and knew without a doubt I would read it. There is something about McCarthy's books that are so fast, fresh and funny. The dialogue flows off the page and can't help but make me smile. And I am a really hard sell as far as comedy goes. She doesn't do slapstick, doesn't lose the romance and the book is as steamy as it funny.


    Erin McCarthy takes any genre and makes it her own. I don't think I am reading a paranormal, contemporary or even a 'romance' novel when I open one of her books. I am reading an Erin McCarthy novel. She is one of the very few authors I honestly think I would follow into any genre. And High Stakes continues her winning streak.


    So what did you think? Have you read it? Did you like it? Have you reviewed it? I haven't stated Bit yet but I have it and plan to this weekend. Hope it is just as good!


    NEXT: (out now) Bit the Jackpot and I am crossing my fingers Bled Dry (on sale May 2007) shows up at my door soon


    You can find more info on Erin's vamp series here, find her blogging here and order High Stakes here.

    Labels: , ,

    4 Comments:
    1. Oh yayee. I have both of these books in my TBR pile. I'm going to move them a little closer to the top.

      By Blogger Kathryn S, at 12/14/2006 12:20:00 PM  

    2. I likey too. This kind of scares me though. Don't we have diametrically opposing views on books? Are you engaging in some kind of mind control?

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/14/2006 01:05:00 PM  

    3. I generally like everything that EM writes but for some reason I didn't like this as much. I didn't dislike it enough not to read the next one in the trilogy, but it wasn't one of my faves by her. It annoyed at times, and I didn't think it was funny.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/15/2006 01:07:00 AM  

    4. I love Erin's books. This wasn't one of her best, but I agree that she's funny and writes some damn sexy stuff. I have "Bit the Jackpot".

      Erin and Kathy Love are coming out with a series of books about vamp musicians - they'll be released in '08.

      By Blogger Stacy~, at 12/15/2006 06:02:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home