My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    4/05/2005
    The Veil of Night by Lydia Joyce
    The Veil of Night is Lydia Joyce's debut novel. It is a great book on its own but add in the fact that it is her first it is outstanding.

    The majority of the novel takes place over a week. It is a setup I have seen before - stupid bother/father/uncle/male relation has gambled too deep and screwed the family. The (in this case) sister takes it upon herself to go to the evil, wicked rakehell who holds her brother's note to 'reason' with him. I have to admit this set up makes me giggle, cause really why would the rakehell care? But we aren't talking real life we are talking romance so...

    We see early on that TVoN has a different spin on the old plot because honestly the sister doesn't care. I mean she does, in a way but really not. She isn't about to lose her home, her family isn't about to be thrown out on the street, she is an 'older spinster' so no worries about being able to get married.

    It seems to me, she is going because she can. Because she is likes to be in 'charge' of the family and takes it on herself to fix the problem. And because she is 32 and bored. If she didn't make the trip, she might have lost a few dinner invitations but it didn't come across as she stood to lose much more than that. And hell it wouldn't be the first time some noble in the ton had lost money.

    Her independence and thought process seems to be completely at odds with the person she pretends to be. It is interesting to watch and to see her grow into her own skin. And if I can say anything, it is if you don't enjoy reading about what the characters are thinking, this isn't a book for you.

    But that made the book for me. It is centered around the characters, the plot has to do with their lives and how they are living and the secrets they are hiding. There aren't a lot of outside forces at work here, even though you do see a small secondary love story and the helpful housekeeper nudging them together - they never take over the scene, chapter or book. This is Bryon and Victoria's story.

    I had a lil trouble with Bryon's past wild ways working into how he lives now and the WHY of how he lives. I don't see how it changed all that much from the 'london years' to the past year. Other than just saying he has grown up and tired of living the life of a character he created.

    Which is honestly Bryon and Victoria, neither one is true to who they are. They are characters of their own making and along the way I think they forgot WHY they are living as they are. Of course that is just my own lil thought and I could be completely off base.

    The setting is 'darker' than many romance novels but there is a reason for that. And I have read reviewers say that it can border on purple, but I thought the love scenes were great and worked in the story. And wouldn't call them close to purple. I do think Bryon should have told Victoria his secret sooner, if even by a few pages. But I can understand why he felt he couldn't. I liked that even he questioned if he was over reacting to what happened to him as a child and if he should just tell Victoria. Over all it is a great book and worth the read.

    I enjoyed the authors style and look forward to her next book. I am really wanting to read Beloved Stranger but it doesn't even have a release date yet. That always seems to be my luck ;)
    10 Comments:
    1. Since you posted at my blog, I figured you didn't mind if I replied! :-))))

      "I had a lil trouble with Bryon's past wild ways working into how he lives now and the WHY of how he lives. I don't see how it changed all that much from the 'london years' to the past year. Other than just saying he has grown up and tired of living the life of a character he created."

      Well, you were right because he hadn't really grown up. He was no longer dashing around, but he's spent the last two years basically pout. ;-) It's a good thing Victoria came when she did!

      "Which is honestly Bryon and Victoria, neither one is true to who they are. They are characters of their own making and along the way I think they forgot WHY they are living as they are. Of course that is just my own lil thought and I could be completely off base."

      Nope, you got it exactly!


      As far as the "purple" goes, one of those people is actually named Victoria and she's never read the book. She just hates my guts for personal reasons and turned "flowery" into "purple" because it was even less flattering, though I wouldn't call it "flowery" myself, either. Anyhow, that's why the "purple" comment seemed so off base--because it is!

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/06/2005 11:36:00 AM  

    2. Er... THat was me. Lydia.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/06/2005 11:37:00 AM  

    3. LOL

      sure reply away ;). I have to say as soon as I saw anonymous I though hmmm who did I piss off now.

      hee and I was right! kewl I should get a cookie or a sneak peek at Beloved Stranger ;).

      By Blogger sybil, at 4/06/2005 11:54:00 AM  

    4. Sounds good, Sybil. Can I still be mad that my copy hasn't made it to me? The mouse that was supposed to ship 2 to 3 days AFTER the books somehow got to me the NEXT day after my amazon order, but my books aren't here yet. Hello, Amazon, I wanted the BOOKS first. I'll have to drop things and read this one when it comes.

      By Blogger Nicole, at 4/06/2005 11:59:00 AM  

    5. see that is why I have to be careful about ordering books...

      by now I would have bought it from wal-mart and I can't afford to buy them once much less twice! If you lived in san antonio I would lend you my copy ;). hmmm that doesn't help does it. We will switch books, by the time you start TVoN, I will start If Angels Burn.

      By Blogger sybil, at 4/06/2005 12:23:00 PM  

    6. Actually, I was at Wal-mart today and they did NOT have TVON. Didn't have TO Love a Thief either. Grr. So I picked up some categories instead. I shouldn't have. I have so many books on my tbr pile.

      By Blogger Nicole, at 4/06/2005 01:28:00 PM  

    7. I am thinking To Love a Thief isn't at wal-mart. Do they carry warner books?

      The last time I ordered from amazon I took the free shipping - ordered secrets vol 6, 8 and Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down. It took two weeks to get the stupid books.

      And I was waiting for the MJD stories! I was pissed. I think the free shipping offer is great but it felt like I was being punished for doing it. It wasn't that the books were going a slower route because they were free, they just hadn't been shipped.

      Once the tracking thing showed they were sent it took two days to get to me.

      By Blogger sybil, at 4/06/2005 02:39:00 PM  

    8. I like Amazon because they offer more discounts than BN does, but yeesh, the shipping takes awhile. But then, it IS free, so I can't complain.

      By Blogger Nicole, at 4/06/2005 03:39:00 PM  

    9. Hey nicole! I noticed on your blog you are reading Star Quality. Did you like it?

      By Blogger sybil, at 4/06/2005 04:36:00 PM  

    10. Well, that should actually say Currently Reading and About to be read. I haven't started Star Quality yet. As you can probably see from my posts, I don't always follow my little list over there. Those are more my "need to read" books as they're the review books on my shelf.

      By Blogger Nicole, at 4/06/2005 06:42:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home