My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    6/12/2005
    Night in Eden by Candice Proctor
    Candice Proctor is a new to me author and Night in Eden is the second book of hers I have read.

    I have yet to be disappointed. This book is amazing.
    NIGHT IN EDEN

    Bryony Wentworth's life is shattered when she is unjustly accused and sentenced to indentured servitude in New South Wales. Broken in body--but not in spirit--she fights for light, and for her life, wanting no part of the man who would save her, Captain Hayden St. John. But the mother in her cannot turn away from Hayden's needy infant and the woman in her cannot deny her passion for the rugged, enigmatic man she is bound to serve.

    Against the sweeping panorama of a harsh, gorgeous, and unforgiving land, two hungering souls learn to trust, to love, and to triumph over the danger that will shadow their lives--until destiny and desire become one.

    This is the first novel I have read that takes place in New South Wales or as we call it Australia. At least I think it is, there maybe one in there somewhere. But this novel brings the setting and the time to life.

    Captain Hayden St. John is one hell of a hero and a perfect bookend to Bryony. The book works well on most levels. There are flashbacks that fit in without taking away from the story or causing confusion.

    There are kiddos through out the story, for the most part acting their age and adding to the angst more than taking away. And they don't muck up the romance. Although I do have to say little Madeline's scene with Hayden when she is questioning the baby in mommy's tummy and she just flips out is heartbreaking. As her reaction to seeing her mother 'alive'.

    Oh and it is completely disgusting what they did to those women. Many of who I bet did nothing to deserve the life they got. To just let men come in and pick out a woman who would have to keep their house, be their mistress or whore for them if they saw fit is beyond degrading.

    My only real problem with the story comes close to the end. And if I could figure out how the fuck to do that hidey spoiler thing or remember who it was I asked (thought it was wendy but I don't see the post or an answer) I would post about it.

    hmmmm anyway, it felt like a cop-out. But I can forgive 10 pages for the rest of book was amazingly good. And yay I have more Candice Proctor to read but boo hiss she doesn't seem to have anything new coming out.

    ***spoilers in the comments***
    6 Comments:
    1. Kewl! This is one of my all time favorite reads. So what was it that turned you off at the end.Do tell. I'm racking my brains trying to think what it could be. Might be time for a re-read.

      BTW I'd rec Beyond Sunrise and Whispers of Heaven (or something like that).

      By Blogger Gigi, at 6/12/2005 03:21:00 PM  

    2. hee

      I don't mind spoilers in the comments cuz people can just not read them.

      spoilers below

      of course the book was published in 97... so whatever

      The first hubby coming back from the dead and then dying again was annoying. Honestly I thought he should have just been dead. Yes bringing him back makes her not a convict.

      But it was just too nice and tight, comes back, yay she didn't kill him, oh no he wants the kid who is now worth money, ohhh evol man, yay he is dead again. All in like 10 pages.

      But good god what a jackass. To have pretended to be dead so he could out run his debt, and not deal with his preggers wife who just catch him fucking someone else's wife.

      By Blogger sybil, at 6/12/2005 03:43:00 PM  

    3. Not only is this one of my all time favorites, I can honestly say this book has earned every one of it's spine creases. I re-read it probably 3 or 4 times a year.

      LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book. Can you tell I love this book? She is one of those authors I wished wrote as fast as Nora Roberts.

      PS. I like the fact Bryony gets to confront the asshole 1st husband and Hayden gets to beat the crap out of him!!!

      By Blogger Tara Marie, at 6/12/2005 04:52:00 PM  

    4. I haven't read anything by Penelope Williamson. Any recs?

      By Blogger sybil, at 6/12/2005 05:44:00 PM  

    5. You haven't read Williamson???? Oh have you got some great reading ahead of you!!!
      The Outsider (western, hero is a gunslinger, heroine an Amish widow)
      Once in a Blue Moon - wonderful!!
      Keeper of the Dream - wonderful!!!

      And Candace Proctor is just as wonderful. All her books are 5/5 for me except for Midnight Confessions. My very fave is Whispers of Heaven.

      By Blogger Kristie (J), at 6/12/2005 06:06:00 PM  

    6. I used up my alloted wonderfuls for the day :)

      By Blogger Kristie (J), at 6/12/2005 06:16:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home