My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    1/20/2006
    Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do
    Jay had an interesting point in her comment regarding the 'bad boy' books...
    My issue with the Bad Boy books is that they rarely if ever feature bad boys. Just because they're alpha doesn't mean they're bad.


    So what does Bad Boy mean to you? When you pick up a novel, a Brava Bad Boy 'catch phrase', or any book that describes the hero has a BAD BOY - what do you expect? Or should I say, what do you want to expect?

    What are the characteristic of a Bad Boy?

    How is a Bad Boy different than what you expect in an Alpha Hero?

    Does Bad Boy = Rake for a historical novel?

    Is leather the official gear for a 'bad boy' or just a way to piss off Misty.

    Do we not want the good guy to get the girl?
    5 Comments:
    1. Though there's the issue of selfishness...would Sawyer be more concerned about pleasing himself than his partner?

      By Blogger Nicole, at 1/20/2006 10:47:00 PM  

    2. Yep, Sawyer is a bad man - I prefer that to boy ;)

      Jack from 24 is an excellent example except he does his job to protect his country so there are altruistic concerns. All the same, he can kill and not seem to have remorse. I guess he would be more of an anti-hero.

      Anne Stuart's heroes are bad men.

      I actually cringe with the whole 'wrong side of the tracks, biker in leather bad boy - yuck'.

      I like men who are dark and the darkness is still there but is somewhat tamed by the heroine. All the same, the hero wouldn't think twice about hurting someone, even the heroine if it was for the best (as he sees it)

      I can't read the Bad Boy anthologies for just this reason. They don't feature 'bad men'.

      CindyS

      By Blogger CindyS, at 1/21/2006 01:11:00 AM  

    3. LOL is this a bad time to say I have never watched lost?

      I think I have seven BB books. Eight if you count the one in my car to trade away. But I haven't finished moving all my trade size books so I might have one hiding somewhere. The only one I have read all three stories from is BB Online. Oh and Beach one... which I pre-ordered then traded so that would take me to 9.

      Like a dumbass I bought Lori Foster's newest reissue. And I knew I didn't need it but while at the store reading the bad I couldn't place the stories. As soon as I got home I figured out they were bad boy books I have and yes have read.

      I like the stories but wouldn't say any of the hero's would be 'bad boys'.

      And really cindy - bad men just doesn't have the ring to it that bad boy does ;).

      I agree with avid readers take on alpha vs bb.

      And I think THERE is another that could be good....BAD BOYS OF SUMMER by Lori Foster, Erin McCarthy and Amy Garvey. I really need to look into the MM turn around time.

      By Blogger sybil, at 1/21/2006 12:19:00 PM  

    4. I agree with Keishon as well. I think of alpha men as dominating. There's no way for them to be in the room without you knowing it, even if they never talk.

      A bad boy, however, is a guy that does have good in him, but for whatever reason chooses to downplay or ignore that for "the road less traveled" so to speak. I think a bad boy is usually one of those guys that does what he likes, and doesn't care what other people think. Not necessarily bad, just not bound by society's expectations.

      With regard to the Brava Bad Boys - I read them, but dammit I don't know why. It doesn't help that for the most part Lori Foster is the headlining author and I can't stand her. Add to that, the fact that there's another 3 or 4 authors that I'm not a fan of that always seem to be included and I really start to wonder why I keep reading. I think I keep waiting for one to have all three stories not annoy me. So far, Bad Boys Online is the only one that comes close and that was the first of the BB series I read.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/21/2006 02:59:00 PM  

    5. I agree with Misty. Sawyer is the perfect example of a bad boy. He comes across as being only out for himself, but underneath, hidden so you only catch glimpses, is a heroic figure just waiting for the right moment to burst forth. Helenkay, I'm absolutely convinced Sawyer does things out of a heroic motive - only he doesn't realize it. Sybil - you simple have to start watching it!!!

      By Blogger Kristie (J), at 1/21/2006 04:38:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home