My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    3/06/2006
    Knock, Knock, Click, Click, Bang, Bang

    by J.R. Ward
    Knock, Knock, Click, Click, Bang, Bang

    So two years ago I was minding my biz, writing contemporary romance, keeping myself out of trouble... when two thousand pounds of male vampire came into my head. The Brotherhood and their world landed with all its dimensions and conflicts and rules and rituals. The scenes and voices were so loud it was like... okaaaaaaaaaaay, I guess this is what I'm writing next.


    What really shocked me at first was the tone of the books. The stories were so totally different than what I'd been writing before. I mean, there's violence and life and death situations and a real erotic feel. But as I go further and further into the series (I'm on the fourth of the books now), I’ve found that the harder core to the books sets up the thematic swings of light and dark beautifully.


    In a lot of ways, I just feel like the Brotherhood's first reader. I watch the books play out in my head, hanging on the twists and turns. Writing the stories is exhausting. It takes me about six months of working every single day and a lot of nights. By the time I get the manuscript off to my editor, I'm a mess (and so is the house). But I can't get enough. You know, they say write the book of your heart. I'd always given that idea a big whatever. Except now I know. Write what you care about, what you're passionate about, and no matter how hard it gets, it’s still the best damn job you'll ever have.


    (c) Copyright J.R. Ward 2005-2006
    12 Comments:
    1. So can I have book four yet? ;o)

      By Blogger Shiloh Walker, at 3/06/2006 07:57:00 AM  

    2. You are cruel. No wonder you two get along :)

      By Blogger sybil, at 3/06/2006 08:01:00 AM  

    3. HI JR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Shi....you're incorrible!!!!:)

      MM&MQ

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/06/2006 08:04:00 AM  

    4. Shi, I have one word for you:

      VAX

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/06/2006 08:05:00 AM  

    5. That would also work, MQ!

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/06/2006 08:07:00 AM  

    6. I can't wait to read the new book tomorrow! Dark Lover was the first book I had read in 10 years! I was instantly hooked and have been reading every day since. I could have cried when I found out that the next book wouldn't be out till March! I'm so excited about Lover Eternal, but I"M DYING to read Zadist book. There is something about him that I'm drawn to!

      Can't wait for tomorrow! March did come along faster than I thought it would ;)

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/06/2006 08:36:00 AM  

    7. Thank God the Brothers came banging on your brain! Your writing is amazing, as I've gushed to you a millions times before. lol Have fun today!

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/06/2006 09:10:00 AM  

    8. Source! Rene! You guys are too cool to me...

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/06/2006 09:49:00 AM  

    9. uh...hmmm... JR, I *AM* getting closer.

      isn't that a good thing?

      ;p

      By Blogger Shiloh Walker, at 3/06/2006 01:14:00 PM  

    10. Shi... baby girl...

      Are you getting closer to my VAX?

      *preparing to squeeeeeeeeeee*

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/06/2006 02:27:00 PM  

    11. J R, do these names look familiar to you! Yeah I thought so. Looks like lots of cellies here!

      By Blogger Suzette, at 3/06/2006 06:35:00 PM  

    12. Suzette, the Cellies are toooo good to me!

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/06/2006 06:44:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home