My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    5/02/2006
    EBUZZ: The Boy Next Door by Nicole Austin
    click for summary
    During the day, Cathy Markham is a sweet, innocent, slightly frumpy hometown girl with a heart of gold. At night, however, she is replaced by Cat - a tough as nails, independent, sexy bar owner who is a master at playing the boys. Her goals and dreams are simple —run her bar, gain the security of owning her own home, and live life her own way.

    Ex-Navy SEAL Lieutenant Blake Carlisle returns to the only real home he's ever known to find that everything has changed. His old friends have grown up, moved on with their lives. Even the awkward little girl who used to idolize him has matured in some very wonderful ways. Maybe the very things he's been searching the globe for have been right at home all along.

    They say you can never go home, but home is where his heart is. If so, then maybe Blake can finally grow up, adjust to civilian life, and find peace. On this journey he will do whatever it takes to make Cathy's dreams a reality as she fights to discover the real woman behind the roles she plays.


    excerpt here

    The summary explains most of it. Take a manwhore leaving the sister of his best friend before he does something he will regret and throw in some stripping, a touch of Coyote Ugly and a HEA and you get The Boy Next Door by Nicole Austin.

    Well Blake does admit he wants to keep fucking his way through his 20's so a good girl just wouldn't do at the time. And as annoying as I find the I love you so much I must leave you to screw many other women senseless so I can later realize my TUW LURVE for you, the story was fun. The sex is steamy and really the over all feel of the story is entertaining and can't be taken too seriously.

    Really they talk about her dancing the pole, which of course she does to save money and buy herself a business. Being one who has seen too many people make money faster than they can drink it by stripping, then walk away with NOTHING. I find the concept hard to swallow but one I have always thought possible.

    What can I say, I want to believe. If you are looking for a well grounded and deep thinking contemporary romantica, not the story to go for. But if you just want to shake your grove thang this fits the bill. I do have to say Cocktail preomgIhavelostmyfuckingmindtom, is one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies. So that could explain my amusement.

    clicky for Last Barman poem

    Brian: I am the last barman poet
    I see America drinking the fabulous cocktails I make
    Americans getting stinky on something I stir or shake
    The sex on the beach
    The schnapps made from peach
    The velvet hammer
    The alabama slammer.
    I make things with juice and froth
    The pink squirrel, The 3-toed sloth.
    I make drinks so sweat and snazzy
    The iced tea, The kamakazi
    The orgasm, The death spasm
    The Singapore sling, The dingaling.
    America you've just been devoted to every flavor I got
    But if you want to got loaded
    Why don't you just order a shot?


    Bar is open..
    yes I almost feel shame over the movies I own... almost

    Labels:

    7 Comments:
    1. You are much too nice about this book, Sybil. Alas, I won't be tomorrow. The whole premise was totally incredible to me and not in a good way.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/02/2006 06:52:00 AM  

    2. LOL ......I know a woman who put her husband through three years of college stripping--she had to quit when she started drinking too much.

      By Blogger Amie Stuart, at 5/02/2006 08:55:00 AM  

    3. come now jane... you prolly aren't singing the hippy hippy shake either right now are you ;).

      I admit I like some cheese. Some novels I can't see as being anything more than a fantasy or even a fairytale. Although honest, I do think, no matter what chris rock says it isn't 'just' a stripper myth and there is someone, somewhere paying their way through college. (LOL or their husbands way)

      And her daddy wasn't around to 'keep his baby off the pole' *eg*

      But I don't find it odd at all that you didn't like this.

      By Blogger sybil, at 5/02/2006 09:24:00 AM  

    4. It wasn't just the stripper thing, but the virgin/whore characterization that I hate with the heat of a thousand and ten suns.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/02/2006 10:03:00 AM  

    5. oh

      hmmm oddly you know I think I am so use to that I just don't pay much attention to it.

      Virginity is such an odd animal. And I have never really understood the want to keep it but can see the appeal of one tuw lurve being the only man you evah fuck. Just... uh in practice well I can't wrap my arms around marrying anyone you plan to spend forever and evah with but having no clue how you match up sexually.

      But hey I didn't really give any thought to people staying a virgin until I started playing online and realized there were so many of them out there. Who knew...

      By Blogger sybil, at 5/02/2006 10:15:00 AM  

    6. I read this a couple of weeks ago, if I'd have reviewed it, I'd have also skewered it, so I'll just wait to read Jane's annhilation of it tomorrow *g*

      By Blogger Karen Scott, at 5/02/2006 05:14:00 PM  

    7. Again... not at all surprising ;)

      ok so does anyone else find this amusing beside me? ::off to sit in the corner and watch cocktail::

      Wasn't she a virgin too... LOL

      By Blogger sybil, at 5/02/2006 06:30:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home