My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    11/05/2006
    A Tale of Two Sue's
    A few weeks back I went on a Sue glom (like Devon well at least in the case of one sue.). The Sue's being Suzanne Brockmann and Susan Elizabeth Phillips .

    My first Brockmann read was:
    Letters to Kelly
    LtK summary

    Either Way He Was A Condemned Man.

    So here I sit, writing letters that have no hope of reaching you until I am free to deliver them myself. With luck, that will be soon. For your eighteenth birthday is coming, and I intend to be there, like I promised . . .

    For years, a trumped-up charge -- and a Central American prison cell -- kept Jax Winchester from claiming the girl he loved. Now he was a free man. Or was he?

    For only the memory of Kelly O'Brien -- and the letters he'd composed to her -- had kept him going. But once he was released, he knew he was still a prisoner -- in a jail of his own making. The way out this time? Keep that promise he'd made to Kelly all those years ago -- and claim her for his own . . .

    I am a sucker for this type of story. No clue why... maybe it is because I have always had a thing for older men. And since I have no kids I don't get that OMG WHAT IF THAT WAS MY DAUGHTER squick. To be honest even if I did have kids I don't think I would have that squick.

    I loved how the story kept going back to his letters to Kelly. It is a touch over the top at times, as most of Brockmann's Harl's are in parts. But well worth the read.

    I loved it and wanted more do I moved on to:

    Tall, Dark and Dangerous
    Taylor's Temptation A-
    prolly my fave of the bunch

    Night Watch B+
    I liked this for the most part but I could never get a handle on how tall Wes was. And omg the swearing was horrid. Really this is an issue in all of them. Harlequin so needs to get over its problem with the word fuck.

    The Admiral's Bride B-
    I liked it but really I kept forgetting how old the admiral was.

    Get Lucky B-
    I loved lucky even though he was a cocky asshole. hmmm might be why I liked him *g*

    It Came Upon a Midnight Clear D
    Least face book so far... Hawk annoyed me.

    Harvard's Education B+
    Great book! Harvard is one of my favorite heroes in the series, hands down. And brockmann does a pretty believable virgin contemp heroine.

    Prince Joe C
    I think this suffered from expecting it to be great, grand and wonderful. It didn't leave up to all I had heard about it.

    Everyday, Average Jones C
    I liked this story and liked the characters. But the whole camping in the tent thing went on far too long.

    and I still have:
    Forever Blue (1997)
    Frisco's Kid (1997)
    Identity, Unknown (1999)

    Over all I really enjoyed the series. They are Harlequin at its best. But I swear there were a few times I wanted to toss the monitor because of the pretendcussing. Really people that can't read cussing should stay away from romance novels with military heroes or cops. Hell they should go read that Debbie chick.

    In between I took a break and read:

    Heartthrob

    LOVE this book... so feeds into my jackiecollins/judithkrantz loves of yesteryear. Yes it is a hollywood book, yes it does scream 80s glitz and glam. But I loved it anyway. Yes it is over the top in parts but le sigh... it was grand.

    Summary
    NO WOMAN COULD RESIST HIM . . .

    Once voted the "Sexiest Man Alive," Jericho Beaumont had dominated the box office before his fall from grace. Now poised for a comeback, he wants the role of Laramie bad enough to sign an outrageous contract with top producer Kate O'Laughlin-one that gives her the authority to supervise JB's every move, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.

    ESPECIALLY THE ONE WITH THE MOST AT STAKE . . .

    The last thing Kate wants to do is baby-sit her leading man, and Jericho Beaumont may be more than she can handle. A player in every sense of the word, he is an actor of incredible talent-and a man with a darkly haunted past. Despite her better judgment, Kate's attraction flares into explosive passion, and she is falling fast. But is she being charmed by the real Jericho or the superstar who dazzles the world?

    I have to admit I have a deep lurve for Susan Elizabeth Phillips since figuring out she wrote Glitter Baby. I think it was Holly that said I must read Nobody's Baby But Mine or was it Dream a Little Dream... hmmm. Anyway she said to start with It Had to Be You cuz I should read them in order.

    Oddly enough I did read it first... but I have to say I don't get it. What is it about SEP? I mean she has cute quirky characters and an interesting voice. But the plots are beyond believable. No matter I still found myself smiling along at times and really enjoyed a couple of them. As I was rolling my eyes and going 'sure, fine, whatever'.

    It Had to Be You C
    The bimbo with a brain shows them all....

    Nobody's Baby But Mine B
    I really liked Jane and Cal, otherwise I would have hated this story. I mean really a football player who fucked around with groupies forgetting to wear a condom with a chick he thinks is a whore? sssssssuuuuurrrrrreeeee Loved the parents story and the granny. But the standoff at the end takes too long.

    Dream a Little Dream C-
    just ok

    This Heart of Mine A
    I would give this an A+ if it wasn't for Phobe and Dan. I just wanted them to shut up and go away. This was by far my favorite book of the series (although I have one left to read) and I think it is because I don't expect these to be grounded in reality at all.

    The scene here
    "I was available?" The air crackled. "Let's think about this. Let's think about what this would be called if the situation was reversed?"

    "I don't know what you're talking about."

    "What would this situation be called, for example, if I'd decided to crawl in bed with you—a nonconsenting female!"

    "It's—" Her fingers fidgeted with the skirt of her nightgown. "Uh, yes, I see what you mean."

    His eyes narrowed, and his voice grew low and dangerous. "It would be called rape."

    "You're not seriously trying to say that I—I raped you?"

    He regarded her coldly. "Yeah, I think I am."

    is completely true... it was rape. It was wrong. But for whatever reason, I still enjoyed the story. That should bother me. And I adored Daphne and Benny

    I think I will go on to read Heaven Texas, Match Me If You Can and Natural Born Charmer (in paperback or ebook)but the other books by SEP.... eh don't really grab me. Anyone have another they would rec?

    So that is two more off the list... now if I could just get to Nora Roberts *g*

    Labels: , ,

    9 Comments:
    1. You haven't read Heaven Texas yet?? Shame on you! It's my fave of all SEP's books - I love Bobby Tom! :-D

      I'm a huge fan of both SEP and Suz, too. Even when they are annoying, they're just so good!

      By Blogger C2, at 11/05/2006 01:09:00 PM  

    2. Suzanne Brockmann is awesome! Letters to Kelly is probably one of my favorites, it is a little over the top in some places, but I loved it. Have you read her Toubleshooter books? (no issue with swearing in those, they come right out and say everything)

      By Blogger Kris, at 11/05/2006 01:54:00 PM  

    3. Meh, I'm not really a Suz Brockman fan. I know, I know, errrrbody lover her, but she's just MEH for me.

      SEP? I like her Football series, but I have to say Kiss An Angel is my favorite. I love that book, tho post people think the hero is a complete asshole. Maybe that's why I liked it?? hee

      By Blogger Holly, at 11/05/2006 02:42:00 PM  

    4. A few years ago I went on a Brockmann glom, though I glommed her Troubleshooters series and had a fantastic time.

      Earlier I read a lot of SEP. It Had To Be You was my favorite. But I, too, liked This Heart of Mine a lot. I know The Scene bothered a lot of people, but I guess I gave it a pass because it wasn't a power play on Molly's part—even if it was wrong of her.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/05/2006 05:09:00 PM  

    5. I thought This Heart of Mine best of the best of the football books too. But I liked Match Me If You Can a lot too.

      I thought Natural Born Charmer wasn't out yet?

      By Blogger Jennie, at 11/05/2006 06:03:00 PM  

    6. I'm in the Suz camp too, and some of the ones you mentioned, like Harvard's Education, are my faves of that series. I adored Wes. Love that wreckless type LOL.

      SEP is not one I've gotten into though. I read "Ain't She Sweet?" and it was good, but didn't turn me into a fangirl. It's the only one I've read. Can't really say I'm itching to read another.

      By Blogger Stacy~, at 11/05/2006 07:35:00 PM  

    7. Ain't She Sweet? by SEP is GREAT! It's not a series book, it stands alone. But it is one of my faves. My favorite in the series your reading now is Nobody's Baby But Mine. Hevean Texas was cute too though. I haven't read an SEP I don't like.

      By Blogger Nicole, at 11/06/2006 08:45:00 AM  

    8. I've pretty much given up on Suzanne Brockmann, but I did like her old Silhouette series that you've been reading, some more than other.

      I'm quietly a SEP fangirl, I don't jump up and down and broadcast it, but I've read every single one of her books and most still sit on my keeper shelf.

      By Blogger Tara Marie, at 11/06/2006 09:44:00 AM  

    9. Love SEP. While I loved This Heart of Mine, I think Breathing Room was my favorite, with her latest, Match Me If You Can, coming in a very close second. Least favorite was probably First Lady, but still fairly enjoyable.

      Have only read a few of Brockmann's older Silhouette's. Probably should check more of her newer ones out.

      By Blogger Sydney Somers, at 11/08/2006 12:38:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home