My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    1/24/2006
    The maze that use to be my mind
    Now since I live in a one bedroom apt, the whole library a la cindy is out ;). There really isn't a system other than I have authors grouped together... very oddly. Which only began to bug me recently because if I have to find something... I have to dig! And I have only been reading (romance) for about 3 years, currently have around 1200 and have prolly traded in at least 500.

    I have tracked nothing... The idea was to use some of this time off wisely and put away the books crawling up my walls, track what I own, figure out what is tbr, get rid of books I don't want and then try and figure out what I had that is gone baby gone.

    So total number of book cases - 5.

    1. Made to fit paperback books. Six shelves - holding only one row of books.
    *** I am pretty set on this one holding the Harlequin books. Downside with the anthologies in it, the Desires, IM, SE, and AR doesn't fit. They are currently stacked on top. LOL turns out I own over 150 HH... who knew?

    2. 4 shelves but top one is currently holding printer. (screwed myself in the divorce by taking the small desk) So currently working with 3 - two rows a shelf (could stack about four on top but aiming to not do that).

    3. Built into the wall (runs floor to ceiling) in the livingroom, which you can see as you open the front door (causes the pizza guy to stare in shock and very smartly say... guess you like to read). total of 5 rows - MM about 35 across and each shelf will hold 4 rows of MM.

    4. lil shelf which I am just now thinking could hold a printer on the top if moved... Currently holding paranormal books only. 3 shelves and will only hold one row (about 25). Hmmm but thinking about it all my Anita Blake books are with a friend. blah I will worry about that later, haven't even bothered to get the last one.

    5. new bookcase no clue really what it will hold... has 4 rows that can be moved to fit size... I would guess it would be close to number 3.

    I still think I will keep it grouped by type... harl, his, contemp, para,

    Or I can say fuck it and just start on one wall and work my way around and go in alpha order

    With either of these two ideas my questions:
    A. Tradesize - where do I put them all together, with their author (screwing with the size!), or all together by separated with the group they belong in.

    B. Historical - include westerns? or should westerns get their own group?

    Yes by this point in the program I agree I need my head examined because really it doesn't fucking matter. But it bugs! And I am going to have to get these books off my floor at some point. My livingroom is covered in tradesize books. I had no idea I had even bought that many. Bedroom has bad boy books because of the blog I am doing, plus the books from the last library sale and ubs trip to be logged and blogged. There is a box full of books because there was no space on the cases (before the new one). There three stacks of 15 books a piece that started out as books to review/blog. Another of just Diana Palmer that need to be mailed out, from forever ago. Another stack of DP that need to go on the shelf but there was no room at the time. Then there is a stack on each side of the Harl. bookcase that are books that use to be in the case that now has just Harlequin books.

    And I just want to sit down and read a book. Oy... Not really sure why I blogged this other than maybe the shame of seeing it will make me do something about it. If my mother comes over I am so pretending I am not home.
    8 Comments:
    1. Good luck organizing all that.

      I never go in alpha order with my books. I have my own strange way of organizing. Usually it deals with the size of the books, the authors, if it's TBR, and how well I like the book.

      By Blogger Samantha, at 1/24/2006 09:00:00 AM  

    2. see I thought about keeping the books to review separate...

      EEK and if I did the tbr on one case that would separate books by the same author. And I agree on the size thing... it matters!

      One reason I hate for publishers to put a series in hb on the 3 or 4 book.

      By Blogger sybil, at 1/24/2006 09:54:00 AM  

    3. Ohh, good questions.

      I put all hardbacks together and they are allowed in the living room because they look nice - according to DH ;)

      I also put my tradesize together - I think I do this because I am more of a visual person and having the trades together seems to keep me from buying doubles. Breaking them up has me wondering which ones I already have!

      Like Minxy I have my keepers shelved by author but they are in behind my TBR books. That way I know where the Anne Stuart books are and all I have to do is pull the books from the front to see them all.

      I would consider creating a space for your review books that way you can see what you have running at a glance. After the review you can shelve them the way you want.

      1200 books!! I don't think I am close but I refuse to count ;)

      CindyS

      By Blogger CindyS, at 1/24/2006 12:03:00 PM  

    4. Exactly! The MJD series did that. So now I have 3 paperbacks and 1 hardback in the Undead series.

      It's a little annoying having the authors seperate, but i do it because if I don't I sometimes forget about the book when it's sitting with the ones I already read by that author.

      Btw, I added you to my link list. Hope that was okay.

      By Blogger Samantha, at 1/24/2006 06:31:00 PM  

    5. Oh, man -- I am in awe of anyone who can put their books in any kind of order. I used to -- all of one author's together -- but I just can't anymore. Don't have the patience.

      I do end up putting all categories/trad regencies in the same places, though. Dunno why.

      By Blogger meljean brook, at 1/25/2006 02:41:00 AM  

    6. I have 2 bookshelves to hold hardcovers and the dictionairies we bought 25 years ago which Ron won't part with. That's it!! All the rest of my books are in boxes and bags all over the house. It's a sad sad state of affairs. They are in no order whatsoever so when I have a hankerin' to read an older book, it's a half day chore just to find it *sigh*.

      By Blogger Kristie (J), at 1/25/2006 06:03:00 AM  

    7. All of my fiction is divided out into genre. Then hardcover, QP & MM all alpha by author. Books to be reviewed get piled beside the 'puter so I won't forget. After that they either go onto the keeper shelves or into the UBS bags. Good luck with the books on your floor. Maybe you could stack them in piles so you have a path? LOL :P

      By Blogger Bob & Muffintop, at 1/25/2006 11:40:00 AM  

    8. cindy: YES to a place for tbr reviews. I spend forever looking for a book yesterday I finally found under the bed. With a bad boy book! I think they were getting it on...

      tbr really are like tbr for review so like now, tbr soon, and then those tbr one day... :) which is how the stacks along my walls started. soooooo

      minxy: YES the UU books Sookie's books and Dark Hunters have both done this. And I just don't know how to feel about that. Lucky for me I don't collect hb, so I am cool with not having the first few in hb since I won't be keeping them.

      And the only series there I am current on is Sookie's, so I have bought the last two hb and then traded them in when the paperback came out. But the last one, uh Dead something or other is still not read. So I think going forward I will library it. Or try too.

      Meljean: I am in awe too. ::looks at books still on floor:: hee

      kristie: no wonder it takes you so long to find stuff! It least I have something of an idea ;)

      Amanda: I think that is about how I will end up. And for some reason or another I set my stupid alarm and was lucky to not break my neck this morning. So yes stacks... good idea :)

      By Blogger sybil, at 1/26/2006 11:39:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home