My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    4/14/2006
    A Year in Review... sort of 1994
    Romance Readers Anonymous is a long running mailing list and they have done a best of list since 1994. The list has changed over the years, categories have been added and deleted.

    Some of the authors I have tbr, some of the books I have never heard of. So lets go through the lists. Cuz I can always use more books to look for ;).

    So tell me what you think of the books of 1994! Are they good? Bad? Keepers? Do you even remember these books? ***click saint for list***
    1994 RRA-L Romance Awards Nominees and Winners
    The winner in each category is denoted by an asterisk.


    1. Best Short Series Romance:
    *Cinderman by Anne Stuart
    Love Potion by Kate Hoffman
    Anything for Danny by Carla Cassidy
    Keeper by Patricia Gardner Evans
    Getting Rid of Bradley by Jennifer Crusie
    ------------------------------------------
    hmmm cindy? What the heck is Cinderman? I know who Anne Stuart is and Jennifer Crusie. Either of these books worth reading? Don't know anything about the other three books.

    2. Best Long Series Romance:
    *A Soldier's Heart by Kathleen Korbel
    Left at the Alter by Justine Davis
    Bridge over Time by Brenda Hiatt
    Point of No Return by Rachel Lee
    Strange Bedpersons by Jennifer Crusie
    ------------------------------------------
    I read a Korbel, hmmm it is in the car to be mailed to xina. It made me cry. Justine Davis I have her trilogy with Hawk something or other in it. Breana Hiatt I haven't found a book of hers I really enjoyed yet, but have only read two or three. Ship of Dreams and Taming Tessa not sure on the third title. Rachel Lee? not ringing a bell. And Crusie (I am betting we see her name once or twice. I own Faking It, Welcome to Temptation and Bet Me).

    3. Best Contemporary Single Title Romance
    *It Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
    Again by Kathleen Gilles Seidel
    One and Only by Barbara Bretton
    Crazy for Lovin' You by Lisa G. Brown
    Till the Stars Fall by Kathleen Gilles Seidel
    ------------------------------------------------
    I am really a historical girl and have only started to read contemporary lately. Never read any of these and don't have any tbr.


    4. Best Historical Single Title Romance:
    *Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
    Fire and Rain by Kathleen Eagle
    The Marrying Stone by Pamela Morsi
    To Love a Dark Lord by Anne Stuart
    Cheyenne Amber by Catherine Anderson
    ------------------------------------------------
    ok Ro... sit down ;)
    I recall reading LoS about a year or so ago. But I don't recall it being omg great. In fact I don't own it any more. I had a friend staying with me and she was watching Gilmore Girls so maybe my attention was spilt? Or uh I just didn't think it was that great? I keep meaning to pick it up again because well...
    Never read Kathleen Eagle. Don't have The Marrying Stone but if I run across it I would buy it because I enjoy Morsi's books. Cheyenne Amber? anyone.... ?


    5. Best Regency Romance:
    *Deirdre and Don Juan by Jo Beverley
    Mistress by Amanda Quick
    An Angel for the Earl by Barbara Metzger
    Mrs. Drew Plays Her Hand by Carla Kelly
    Tempting Harriet by Mary Balogh
    -----------------------------------------
    never read JB, AQ, BM or CK. Don't have this MB.


    6. Best Romantic Suspense/Mystery/Adventure:
    *Night Smoke by Nora Roberts
    Deirdre and Don Juan by Jo Beverley
    Captives of the Night by Loretta Chase
    Nothing Personal by Eileen Dreyer
    Point of No Return by Rachel Lee
    -------------------------------------------
    never read NR (Ro your heart maynot be able to take this post ;) ), JB, ED - wait isn't she Korbel? and still don't know who Rachel Lee is.

    Do plan to get Captives of the Night when the reissue comes out even with the horrid cover.

    7. Best Alternative Realities Romance:
    *Lord of the Storm by Justine Davis
    When Lightning Strikes by Kristin Hannah
    Forbidden by Jo Beverley
    Stardust Dreams by Marilyn Campbell
    Prince of Wolves by Susan Krinard
    ---------------------------------------------
    look paranormal before it was paranormal...
    Lord of the Storm?... nope I have Skypirate. I want LotS though. HEY! When Lightning Strikes is my first TBR. Don't recall why I bought it, prolly AAR. never read JB, or MC or SK.

    8. Best Time Travel Romance:
    *Voyager by Diana Gabaldon
    In My Dreams by Susan Sizemore
    Remembrance by Jude Deveraux
    Tomorrow and Always by Barbara Bretton
    Night Orchid by Patricia Simpson
    ----------------------------------------------
    I think this is one of my least favorite types of romance novels. BUT there are some I like and have tbr. Oddly enough IMD is one of them. I think I picked it up at a library sale because I enjoyed a few of her historicals. Any good? never read DG, JD, BB or PS.

    9. Best Love and Laughter Romance Award:
    *It Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
    Strange Bedpersons by Jennifer Crusie
    Heartstrings by Rebecca Paisley
    Rebel in Silk by Sandra Chastain
    Mail Order Outlaw by Millie Criswell
    -------------------------------------------------
    this just sounds like a dumb title... don't think they have it anymore
    Rebecca Paisley... someone recommend her but I haven't found any to get yet. I have RiS and have read something of Criswell but I forget what.

    10. Best All-Around 1994 Romance:
    *It Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
    Tomorrow and Always by Barbara Bretton
    Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
    Relentless by Patricia Potter
    Lord of the Storm by Justine Davis
    -------------------------------------------------
    Patricia Potter! Gem of a western author if you have never read her, do! Relentless is very good.

    1994 AUTHOR AWARDS
    11. Best Contemporary Author:
    *Nora Roberts
    Rachel Lee
    Susan Elizabeth Phillips
    Deborah Smith
    Linda Howard
    -----------------------------------------------------
    only one read is Howard and I would agree she is best LOL not even knowing what she published that year. hell I want her new book and don't read much RS and never buy HB. le sigh really need to fix the library card.

    12. Best Historical Romance Author:
    *Jo Beverley
    Laura Kinsale
    Jill Marie Landis
    Loretta Chase
    Julie Garwood
    -------------------------------------------------------
    hmmm I do really need to read Jo Beverley. LK is awesome and I have all her books, with many tbr. JML? I thought she wrote contemps, did she jump from historicals? Recs? LC - check JG - check (sorry maili)

    13. Best Series/Category Author:
    *Rachel Lee
    Justine Davis
    Kathleen Korbel
    Paula Detmer Riggs
    Jennifer Crusie
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    I read don't read many categories. And most of them I do have or have read are old... like Elizabeth Lowell, Linda Howard and the like. Guess that is why I had no clue who RL is, don't have any Davis or Crusie categories. And have no clue who Riggs is (unless we want to talk lethal weapon).

    14. Best All-Around Romance Author:
    *Elizabeth Lowell
    Susan Elizabeth Phillips
    Patricia Potter
    Julie Garwood
    Jayne Ann Krentz
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    I adore Elizabeth Lowells older books. So I agree she should have won ;). never read krentz.


    BEST ROMANCE CLASSICS this is something they didn't do this year not sure if they did last year. hee we will find out later ;)

    15. Best Classic Historical Romance:
    *The Windflower by Sharon and Tom Curtis
    *Whitney, My Love by Judith McNaught
    Roselynde Chronicles by Roberta Gellis
    The Bride by Jude Devereaux
    Gentle Rogue by Johanna Lindsey
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I have The Windflower (kristie's rec) and Gentle Rogue (library sale). Still not sure if I will ever read Whitney, but I do have four McNaughts tbr. I skimmed the Gellis in the store and it so didn't look like something I wanted to read. And never read JD. Which one did she copy from roberts? And how is she still writing?

    16. Best Classic Contemporary Romance:
    *Tell Me No Lies by Elizabeth Lowell
    My Brother Michael by Mary Stewart
    Texas Trilogy by Sandra Brown
    Sunshine and Shadow by Sharon and Tom Curtis
    Lucky's Lady by Tami Hoag
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Tell Me No Lies! Ro's fave and on my tbr soon list. MS? nope. SB? no texas books, S&S so didn't look like something I wanted to read. Hoag? Her romances worth getting? Never tried her.

    17. Best Classic All-Around Favorite Romance:
    *Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
    The Bride by Jude Devereaux
    Seize the Fire by Laura Kinsale
    Come Spring by Jill Marie Landis
    *Tell Me No Lies by Elizabeth Lowell
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Not an austen girl myself... sorry
    Seize the Fire rocks! I want to reread soon! Come Spring? oooohhhh that sounds western... is Jill Marie Landis a western author? Kristie?

    18. Best Classic Regency Romance:
    *Emily and the Dark Angel by Jo Beverley
    The Sandalwood Princess by Loretta Chase
    Arabella by Georgette Heyer
    The Bride by Julie Garwood
    Summer Campaign by Carla Kelly
    --------------------------------------------------------
    read this The Bride and like... none of the others have been read

    19. Best Classic Series/Category Romance:
    *MacKenzies Mountain by Linda Howard
    Outlaw by Elizabeth Lowell
    School for Miss Manners by Marion Chesney
    Lightning that Lingers by Sharon and Tom Curtis
    To Marry at Christmas by Kasey Michaels
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    love MacKenzies Mountain and Outlaw... the others any good?

    20. Best All-Around Classic Romance Author:
    *Jo Beverley
    Julie Garwood
    Johanna Lindsey
    Jane Austen
    Sandra Brown
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    It is a good thing these lists get shorter....
    uh nothing to say here except I have about nine of SB old mira like books to read...

    hee that was fun, older romance novels do amuse me far too much
    6 Comments:
    1. I just discovered this site thanks to Bev on the Reader's Network.

      Korbel, Davis and Lee were/are great series writers. Rachel Lee has an old SIM series (Conard County) which was very good featuring Vietnam Veterens. I haven't read them in years, they may be a little melodramatic now, but I loved them when they were new.

      The Marrying Stone is a nice read. I love almost all of Morsi's old historicals.

      Skypirate is a sequel to Lord of the Storm. Both are worth reading.

      You should try Beverely, she has a nice writing style.

      For me, Paisley was always a huge NO, though the stories were funny, I could never stand the inplausibility of her storylines, looking back they were fairy tales, I might feel differently about them now.

      By Blogger Tara Marie, at 4/15/2006 05:47:00 AM  

    2. My goodness that's a huge list. The one that popped up the most was same as Tara's rec - Lord of the Storm. It's excellent and should be read before Sky Pirate. I just wish she still wrote that quality.
      When Lightning Strikes is pretty good - at least I liked it when I read it.
      Til the Stars Fall is very good - a DIK at AAR
      And Jill Marie Landis (they don't list a title I see) wrote some really good books - Westerns Sybil Westerns.

      By Blogger Kristie (J), at 4/15/2006 06:39:00 AM  

    3. I've To Love A Dark Lord in my TBR, but I've not read it (yet). I enjoyed Tell Me No Lies by E. Lowell.

      Those are the only two I can comment on. Most I've not read or heard of. Garwood I've given up on. Kinsale is in the TBR, but has been there a long time & isn't likely to come out soon.

      Jo Beverley is often very good & I reccommend her.

      By Blogger Bob & Muffintop, at 4/15/2006 02:55:00 PM  

    4. Hoag is hit or miss IMO. I've read some of her stuff and loved it and some I've not even been able to finish. I remember one book the heroine inherrited like an Ostrich farm and the hero was very alpha and they fought a lot--sorta a screw me/scream at me thing. I got so fed up that I never finished it even though I really did want to know who killed the heroines friend.

      By Blogger Amie Stuart, at 4/17/2006 10:39:00 AM  

    5. Conard County... makes note! I want to get all of Morsi's old books. And will keep looking for Lord of the Storm. So what JB would you rec?

      Jill Marie Landis her recent stuff is contemp so that must be what I was thinking of.

      Kinsale's Hidden Heart, Seize the Fire and Shadowheart are my faves.

      Hoag... that wouldn't be Lady luck would it? LOL I would have read the end then and traded it ;)

      By Blogger sybil, at 4/18/2006 12:12:00 AM  

    6. Could be Sybil...obviously it didn't stick with me!

      By Blogger Amie Stuart, at 4/18/2006 01:53:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home