My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    9/11/2006
    AUTHOR CONFESSION: I CAN’T FIND ANYTHING TO READ
    by Toni Blake

    Lately, I’ve been in a reading funk. I don’t know why, but I’ve just had a hard time finding books that I’m really into. And since it seems like I have less and less time to read lately, I guess I’m getting pickier. Then, finally lo and behold, I got lucky.

    The last few books I’ve picked up have broken my drought. And I think the reason why is – they’re a little different than what I usually read.

    In fact, none of them are technically defined as romances, even though all have some romance elements in the story. The books are:

    Lady Luck’s Map of Vegas, by Barbara Samuel
    a woman’s fiction roadtrip story about an eccentric mother and her level-headed daughter, as well as the daughter’s twin, who is mentally ill.

    Size 12 is not Fat, by Meg Cabot

    a light, funny chick-lit mystery (and yes, there are murders, but somehow she still makes it funny!) And it’s the first of a series.


    The Turning, by Jennifer Armintrout
    young female doctor is attacked at the hospital under strange circumstances and soon figures out she’s been turned into a vampire. Also the firs
    t of a series.

    I guess what it comes down to is this – I live and breathe romance as an author, and other than a couple of other Barbara Samuel books, I bet it’s been years since I read anything that wasn’t a romance.

    So I suppose I just needed to shake things up a little, climb out of my safe
    little box and read something new and different. And I bet the next time I pick up a romance novel, I’ll be a happy and contented reader once again. In fact, I’m already looking forward to it!

    So what do YOU do when you find yourself in a reading funk? Go to a different genre? Try a new author? Go back to old favorites? I’d love to hear some other people’s answer to this!


    [note: beta blogger is being goofy if you have issues posting use the option 'other' and type in your name... if you use anon, make sure you type your name in the post]
    9 Comments:
    1. I try to change the genre after each book, so that I won't get bored by specific genre

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/11/2006 02:05:00 PM  

    2. I switch media altogether whenever I get hit with "book burnout." I rent movies, or find some TV to watch, or visit the Manga and graphic novel section of the bookstore. Series TV is good for tightening your storytelling skills--the writers have a limited time (22 or 43 minutes) in which to tell a complete story. I still learn a lot about the framework of dramatic storytelling by watching Scooby Doo cartoons. A complete mystery, from setup to denouement in 22 minutes, with a music video thrown in. :D

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/11/2006 04:39:00 PM  

    3. Thanks for commenting, guys, and I'm waving hi to Xandra : ) Thanks for stopping by : ) I couldn't agree with you more about TV being an EXCELLENT place to learn about writing because of the limited time : ) I'm alway amazed when a sitcom can tell 2 and sometimes 3 complete stories in 22 minutes!

      Nice to hear how other people keep from getting burned out in their reading : )

      By Blogger Toni Blake, at 9/11/2006 05:33:00 PM  

    4. When I'm in a reading funk, I switch genres or media. I love children's and young adult books, so sometimes I'll read those.

      Diana

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/11/2006 08:29:00 PM  

    5. I usually fall back on an old favorite. I'm a re-reader, so I'll pull out of my treasures. If that doesn't work (most of the time it does) I'll read YA or a biography on an old movie star from the 30's and 40's.

      By Blogger Stacy~, at 9/11/2006 09:26:00 PM  

    6. When I'm in a reading funk, I mosey on over to an alien section of the bookstore and look for something completely different from my normal reading. Sometimes it's literary, sometimes a biography, sometimes some man-written thriller that's strictly a guy book. (Oh, and how-to books on writing; I'm a sucker for those.)

      I hate reading funks though! Hate 'em, hate 'em! They make me feel as though a piece of me has gone missing.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/12/2006 08:18:00 AM  

    7. I usually switch genres. In fact, I was on kinda a romance burnout and went and read a bunch of fantasy stuff. I think I'm coming down off that now, though.

      Swept Away looks good!

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/12/2006 08:32:00 AM  

    8. Thanks for all the great answers, ladies. Sounds like a lot of us go for genre switches of some type or another : ) At least we know how to solve the problem when it strikes : )

      And Nicole, thanks - so glad you're intrigued by SWEPT AWAY : ) : )

      By Blogger Toni Blake, at 9/12/2006 09:19:00 AM  

    9. I usually switch genres and that works for me so far.

      By Blogger Kris, at 9/12/2006 04:31:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home