My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    9/15/2006
    Romance courting erotica
    Erotic Romance, Erotica and or Romantica, no matter what you label it or how you define it, you can't argue that it is a hot market right now.

    HOT is an understatement, it has exploded and just about every publisher is coming out with a line or buying books to fit this market. It has been talked about, blogged about, printed in newspapers, made a talk show or two and now even has its own idiot's Guide.

    Since this is Avon Red Week, figured we would start with... WHAT THE HELL is erotic romance, erotica and/or romantica. In the interest of time (raining! make the rain go away!) we will retro post... because as I said, this has been blogged about before *g*.

    BUT first... Avon Red
    Where do you see this fitting? I think/thought it was Erotic Romance but the site at Harper (not updated and rather on the eh side of websites , sez I) says:
    In today's marketplace, Erotica is one of the fastest-growing segments of women's fiction. Avon Red is committed to providing the best, most sophisticated erotic fiction available in the industry, written by the most talented authors. With our striking cover designs and steamy narratives, Avon Red is in a class by itself.
    Erotica... is that a lack of understanding in the difference or could Avon be taking the opposite (and much better) approach of Aphordisia and marketing its books as erotica and allowing for a HEA or not.

    I could not find submissions guidelines for Avon Red but there was this note on Karen Fox's site:
    May Chen oversees the Avon Red (erotica) lines. They will put out one book a month in trade size starting September 2006. This is very hot but emotional sex. It can be historical, contemporary, time-travel, paranormal, urban fantasy, and short story or full length. She recommends you query her first. Send the query to (go look it up). If she requests you to snail mail the manuscript, be sure to include a copy of her email. Follow up with her if you haven't heard anything in a month.


    Maybe one of the Avon Red Authors will chime in and let us know if these are HEA only or not.

    Fever isn't such a new scene
    First Posted February 10, 2006:

    Helenkay blogged For Further Confusion regarding the March Romantic Times trying to, as Alison Kent sez: Define Eroticism .

    I happen to agree there is no right or wrong. But as I sit here trying to assign sensuality rating, the question is running through my head. I have read books recently that are called hot, hot baby but seem very mild to me. I am missing something? LOL or just too jaded and on romantic erotica overload ;).

    1. How do you define erotic vs erotic romance in your personal reading or reviews?

    2. Do you have any personal examples of authors you feel fit the two?

    3. Where do you feel romantica fits in between erotic vs erotic romance?

    4. Is the sensuality rating something you even pay attention to before you read a novel? Or do you look after? Do you find yourself agreeing or disagreeing?

    5. If you do look at the ratings before - you are looking for hotter stories? Or are you looking for the sweeter ones?

    6. If you write, is the level or page amount focused on sex something you even think of when you plot out a story (if you outline) or do you just 'let the characters lead?'?

    7. Do you think we are flooding the market with too many hotter books? Or are you happy to see so many new erotica lines?

    8. Where does BRAVA fit in with erotic vs erotic romance?

    lots of questions... and I have more! readers and/or authors answers as many as you want or not ;)

    ETA: Cindy's answers


    [note: beta blogger is being goofy if you have issues posting use the option 'other' and type in your name... if you use anon, make sure you type your name in the post]

    Labels: , , , ,

    5 Comments:
    1. Hi Sybil,

      This is what May said in Atlanta (per Cynthia Sterling's Market News):

      May Chen spoke about the Avon Red program. Avon Red publishes one erotic romance each month in trade paper. They're looking for romance-driven erotica with a strong emotional under-current. Books may be historical in any time period, contemporary, paranormal, fantasy, urban fiction and either short stories or full-length novels. 25,000 - 40,000 words for short stories, 80,000-90,000 words for novels.

      By Blogger Sylvia Day, at 9/11/2006 11:41:00 AM  

    2. YAY! I was beginning to think I was crazy. uh 'er' ;)

      By Blogger sybil, at 9/11/2006 11:52:00 AM  

    3. I am looking forward to read the books of this new Avon line! What I heard about the books sounds really good

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/11/2006 12:02:00 PM  

    4. Hi Sybil and everyone else : ) And thanks, Sybil, for hosting me here and inviting me to blog! : )

      For what it's worth, my Avon Red title, SWEPT AWAY, is very much a romance, just with a heavy emphasis on the erotic : ) So it's very hot and the story is very much ABOUT sex and the heated attraction between the characters, but at heart, it's definitely a romance.

      That said, my understanding is that the line will contain considerable variety. I know some books will be of the style/tone you'd find published at EC, whereas, mine, for instance, contains the exact same level of heat as I've always written. This used to be called "super-sexy romance" by some publishers. Avon is calling it erotica. Go figure ; )

      I know I personally do not define erotica that way - I like erotica just fine, but I don't believe it's what I write. Maybe as the week goes on and more is revealed about other titles in the Red line, we'll learn more. But as I said, I think you can expect a fairly wide variety of erotic fiction from Red - that's just my take on it, and the word from my editor, too : )

      By Blogger Toni Blake, at 9/11/2006 12:18:00 PM  

    5. I hate this fucking beta blogger. I am serious. This is my fourth post. Because it is my fourth post, you get only the summary: to wit, I am all erotica'ed out. I read 6 books last week. They were all bad. All about sex. None about romance. One made my eyes bleed.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/15/2006 10:39:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home