My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    5/30/2005
    Men of August - long ass post
    Men of August by Lora Leigh or how to hit at least one hot button for every reader in four books.

    These are the first books by Lora Leigh I have read and do intend to read more. But these books still leave me with a huh, what? sort of feeling.

    If threesomes, anal sex, child abuse, sex toys, group sex in a family way, incest, guardian turn lover, or voyeurism squicks you beyond your comfort zone, these would not be the books for you.

    Otherwise I am not sure. You might want to give em a try or not. I can't say I would rec'ed them across board but I can see how some people would enjoy them. Or like to pick them to death. And I can see how some people would go eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww and hit the delete button as fast as they can. I can honestly say I was really annoyed with how the books ended because I thought Heather's Gift was the last in the series but I was much happier with the ending in August Heat

    K so if you want to know nothing else about these books leave now.

    ok

    you gone yet?

    Still here?

    cool
    We start with Marly's Choice and this is the only blurb I am putting up. The link will lead you to the others if you are interested:
    Marly's love for Cade has spanned her teenage years, and survived strong and intact into womanhood. Her fantasies and daydreams have sustained her, but she's no longer content with merely imagining the touch of his hands, the taste of his kiss. It's time to seduce the tough, sexy cowboy.
    She's heard the rumors for years, the tales of his sexual preferences. She's prepared herself to accept his desires. Prepared her body for his touch. But she wasn't prepared for the choice to come...
    Cade's dark desires, his sexual excesses are based in the past. In a time when pain, shame, and blood stains his very soul. He carries a secret shared only with his brothers. A secret that has scarred the bond, the ability to be a brother or to accept the love of the men he was raised with. He knows the only way to prove his loyalty, his love for those brothers and Marly will be the key.
    She has a choice. She can surrender to Cade's needs, his soul deep desires, or she can walk away. A choice only Marly can make. A choice that will change her life forever.


    So the gist of it is... you love one brother you love em all. And in a hmmm do I want three sexy men at my beck in call to fuck me sort of way that could be nifty. But the three men in question are brothers and they 'love' the woman. Oh and while the sexing up is happening there is a stalker mad man/woman on the loose trying to kill them all... que my evil laugh.

    See I have no problems with threesome or even foursomes but it takes a whole hell of a lot to make me believe in love, happiness and happy ever after. To say a person is your heart, your love, the other part of you and then say and by the way, I want to share you, makes me go what the fuck. A drunken night out of fun is a whole other story, but I digress.

    I like how Lora Leigh uses the 'wives' to voice just about everything that is going though the readers’ minds. Marly's, Sarah, and Heather honestly try to understand the why of it and if they can learn to deal. The really shitty thing is Marly, the first heroine and wife of the oldest brother, is the last one to get the full story on why the boys feel they need to do this. I also like that the bros - Cade, Sam and Brock know they are a lil twisted and question if they should or even have the right to do this to the women they love. A one-night stand is one thing, your soul mate is another.

    They never really answer it. It just is. But I liked that it is brought up and the situation isn't presented in a ‘this normal kind of way’.

    And honestly, I think I could have went with it as a reader a little easier if the author had just gone with a more, we do this cause we can or because we want to. The factors that get set in place, the we do this because we have to, because it is the only way we can connect as brother after what the warped bastard of a father allowed to happen to us, didn't really work for me. And as sad and probably fucked up as it sounds (yes you are saying sybil you think you are just now hitting fucked up) is I might have been able to buy into it more if the summer of sin had happened when they were children.

    I mean 18 (sam and brock are twins) and 20 (cade) just seemed too old for the plot. NOT that I am saying give me a 14 year old brother being forced to fuck his 12 year old brother story. But does 18 and 20 count as child abuse? Or was the author trying to get across the degradation, loss of control and rape caused the switch to flip? But if that is so, then what? Are you taking women you love, respect and cherish and doing to them what was done to you - does that make you feel better? And how does that make you feel love for your brother? Why the hell aren't these guys in therapy!

    I mean I wanted to buy into it. I did. And as much as I have thought about these books has to mean there was something there. That or I am just one sick fuck, which could be true as well.

    I didn't understand where in Marly's Choice Cade made the decision to try to Marly into the happy foursome. And the book was pretty choppy. One min you have Cade telling the bros - hands off, she is mine, I won't lose her and this will send her screaming from the room. Next you know he is telling her to take off her clothes for Sam. I didn't get where her choice came into play. Then again Marly was just as fucked up as the brothers. To be throwing yourself at a man one min and then saying oh wait stop, ok now, hold on, go, wait! I was really waiting for her to start playing red light green light.

    And it is stated Cade hadn't been laid in over a year, so the brothers went without this 'need' for that long and then suddenly 'needed’ to do it like bunnies. Really you needed to bring in Sarah and Heather or Marly wouldn't have been able to walk.

    Each time, each man says if the woman can't accept it, they would try and deal. But they never ever do! When the women resist, they just push them into it. Which I honestly think was the shitty part of the deal.

    Oh that and the entire time, well over three books, there is someone trying. to. kill. them. I mean if they had kept their cocks in their pants they might have figured the whole thing out in the first book.

    But anyway, I could go on another fifty pages with things that pissed me off or things that I liked or things that made me go wtf but if nothing else - it wasn't your typical romance novel.
    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home