My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    6/13/2005
    Mary Balogh and regency ramble
    I have read one regency in my entire 29 years. The Obedient Bride by Mary Balogh. I liked it. I think I blogged about it but I am too lazy to look and that isn't what this post is about anyway.

    The great, grand and wonderful Keishon has a TBR Challenge going on and May was Regency. Now since I suck, I missed it. But it did get me thinking about reading them and I have picked up a few now.

    I keep hearing how Mary Balogh trads are better than her historicals, so I was reading up on them here and here and good god they sound depressing.

    I mean is it just me? I have picked up The Incurable Matchmaker and was looking to see what else might be nifty to try. Idea's? Her website says:
    And I am constantly being asked too about republication of my older books. Finally there is news on this front! The Secret Pearl will be on sale again in an all-new edition (but with no changes to the text!) at the end of November, 2005. The WEB trilogy (The Gilded Web, Web of Love, Devil's Web) has also been acquired, though these books have not yet been scheduled. And my novella "A Handful of Gold" will reappear in the Harlequin anthology Christmas Keepsakes this year with all-new stories by Julia Justiss and Nicola Cornick. I'll post covers for these books with more details about them on Home Page as soon as I have them.


    So I know I will be able to get those at some point. Anyway - rec away.

    oh other regency's I have picked up:
    Scandal's Reward and Rogue's Reward by Jean R Ewing
    An Unforgettable Rogue by Annette Blair
    The Purloined Papers by Allison Lane
    and the above mentioned The Incurable Matchmaker by Mary Balogh

    Which should I read first?
    4 Comments:
    1. Ack. I'm with your. Mary Balogh is one of those authors that I can't read. I don't hate her writing but it comes close. And I definitely agree that her books always sound depressing to me. That I can do without.

      And THE SECRET PEARL . . . oye. I don't think I made it through the first chapter before giving up. Actually, it may have been the prologue.

      But I've loved some traditional Regencies over the years. Of course, since I tend towards humor in a big way, the ones I really like are writers like Emma Jensen & Barbara Metzger. One of top favorite romances of all times is BEST LAID SCHEMES by Jensen. It's probably one of the funniest books I've ever run across with both character and physical humor in it that works.

      By Blogger Bev (BB), at 6/14/2005 08:36:00 AM  

    2. Oh...I just heard that Zebra is discontinuing their trad Regencies.

      By Blogger Nicole, at 6/14/2005 02:33:00 PM  

    3. Beverly
      hee I do like her longer stuff ;) but the trads I have only tried one. THE SECRET PEARL is one I go back and forth on. Part of me wants to read it and part of me is scared of it ;)

      Nicole:
      Where did you hear that?

      By Blogger sybil, at 6/14/2005 07:39:00 PM  

    4. I think I heard it on kate Rothwell's blog.

      By Blogger Nicole, at 6/16/2005 08:05:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home