My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    1/29/2006
    Random Questions II.
    1. Are there any changes in the reissue of Laura Kinsale's Dream Hunter? I have the book already, one of my tbr Kinsale's. So I am really hoping it is the same book.

    2. If Romance Junkies gives you a low review (keeping in mind the lowest you can get is a 2 = I did not mind reading) does that mean the reviewer didn't like the book or that the author didn't pay to advertise?

    3. Is chick-lit and contemporary romance the same thing? I was reading a post over at HelenKay Dimon's blog and it reads as if the bad boy books would be called chick-lit. Or at least that was how I took it. Is that right? Cuz if so I have read chick-lit. Go me! When I stopped to think about it. I couldn't really come up with what would make them different.

    4. Have you read Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas? Is not, please report to Kristiej, she has something she wants to talk to you about.

    5. Is Fiona Carr still writing? She has two books I know of - The Mad Marquis (which I recall really liking and kept) and The Kissing Gate (liked it but oddly enough for me didn't keep it). hmmm looks like she is also Judith Stanton, with two books I have never heard of HIS STOLEN BRIDE and WILD INDIGO. Who knew...
    5 Comments:
    1. 3. I consider chick-lit and contemporary romance to be two different things. Like "In Her Shoes" I consider to be chick lit and "Bet Me" to be contemp. romance. The difference for me is that contemporary romance is centered primarly around a developing romantic relationship and chick-lit is centered around other things dealing with the women in the story and if it has romance it's mostly a sub-plot and not the main concentration. Like most chick-lits I read are more centered around the main women characters and their relationships with family or their journey to self-discorvery or something like that. For example, "The Dirty Girls Social Club" is about 4 different women and while there's romantic interests in them it's not the main plot of the book. It's more about the women and their differnt paths in life and so on. While "Bet Me" is primarily about the developing relationship between Cal and Min and has little to do about anything else and if it does it's made into a sub-plot. Sorry. I got a little carried away in that explanation.

      By Blogger Samantha, at 1/29/2006 10:59:00 PM  

    2. no no no... that at all carried away ;)

      That makes perfect sense. Thanks!

      hee but I was thrown by the post and thought well maybe I have been reading some chick-lit and just didn't know it ;). But I think that is the thing that makes me not read chick-lit, it is centered around other things than the romance.

      Not to say that is good or bad but I am in it for the HEA damn it ;).

      By Blogger sybil, at 1/29/2006 11:05:00 PM  

    3. I agree with Samantha's definition. There is another thing to consider - there are sub-genres under Chick Lit [e.g. mystery, supernatural, mom lit, chic lit, working girl lit, etc.], so what you want is Romantic Chick Lit, which definitely offers the focus on the heroine's romantic life and her eventual HEA.

      Here, the key difference between RCL and Contemporary Romance is the RCL heroine doesn't always know who will she end up with in the end.

      A typical CR heroine is utterly and completely faithful, in *all* terms of thinking, feeling, sexually and such, to the hero, regardless of what he does to her.

      You know, she wouldn't even go out with other guys during the hero's years-long absence, whereas with a RCL heroine, she may have roantic adventures until her guy returns and there is it - whoo hoo! - the HEA in blinking neon.

      By Blogger lost, at 1/30/2006 02:28:00 AM  

    4. re: Jennifer Crusie's BET ME is a romantic comedy, isn't it? Rather than a contemporary romance? Or is it just me?

      By Blogger lost, at 1/30/2006 02:32:00 AM  

    5. Don't know Bet Me is on the tbr ;). That is one of those I haven't tried yet authors.

      hee

      hey maili ;)

      By Blogger sybil, at 1/30/2006 02:36:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home