My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    4/15/2006
    Prince of Dreams aka Your Cheating Heart vol 1
    Prince of Dreams by Lisa-who really needs to update her site-Kleypas has been sitting on the tbr pile for a while.

    I think I was waiting to buy Midnight Angel but every time I find it, I end up putting it down. Hook for hand... yeah I will read it some day but well... hook for hand!

    So when this came up as a cheater heroes aka ratbastard, I read it. I mean really when have I ever read books in order?

    **summary, rambling and setback behind the cut**


    Summary:
    A wealthy and bitter exile, the most dangerous and desirable man in all England, he burns to possess a proud, headstrong beauty who is promised to another. But winning Emma Stokehurst's exquisite hand through threats and determination does nothing to fill the empty spaces in Nikolas's heart -- until passion's magic carries the handsome, tormented prince back to a bygone era of splendor and romantic dreams.

    For there his destiny awaits him in a distant life. And in one remarkable woman's tender touch -- achingly familiar but gloriously new -- he must seek the elusive promise of ecstasy...and learn, at last, to love.
    The first part of this is really what annoys me. The omg I will do anything to get this woman - ok got her - omg I can't fall in LURVE with her plot.

    Really I feel almost dirty to admit it but the everything Nikolas does to get her, I liked. Maybe I am just too into Kleypas bad guy heroes. But I hate the 'must have her' then the switch to 'must keep her at arms length' yes he has a tortured past and his daddy never lurved him. Whatever... you should have thought of that before asshat!

    So really the coming home from some random (offscreen) slut's bed, I could have lived with if it had gotten some good grovel and made the light go off that 'hey you won and got the girl'. But it didn't. It took that whole flashback/tt thing and really what the hell was that?

    Time Travel doesn't do much for me in general - some times it works but most often I just don't care for it. And the middle here is some what interesting but just seems so out of left field and I didn't feel like we were still with 'Emma' even though she is suppose to be 'pre-Emma'. And I wanted to slap Emilia a few times, much more than Emma annoyed me. And you can't think to hard about it. Why was he so drawn to Emilia if this was the past - his lurve for Emma hadn't happened yet and he didn't' know Emilia. He was drawn to her because of Emma but so drawn to Emma because of this past great love that was really theirs. What? And then there is the fact that isn't it saying Nikolas is fucking his great grandmother?

    So yeah... no deep thought because it doesn't seem to really make sense.

    Anyway... but when he gets back from his 'lil trip' be it a dream, recalling what really happened, his reincarnated soul connecting with whatever... it seems to cheapen the whole relationship between Nikolas and Emma. I get the idea of - this is one great true love and will find itself over again no matter space or time. But who the hell was Nikolas in love with, other than himself?

    It was more like he was in love with the idea of being loved. Was he chasing after Emma or Emilia? I felt bad for Emma and just didn't buy the changed man or the time travel thing. I was more annoyed with him screwing Emilia than the random slutty chick we never see.

    Go figure... not a horrid book but not one I see ever reading again. Hee and look... the set backs really haven't changed at all have they. This was first published in August 1995.
    4 Comments:
    1. Ooooh this book really got to me... *grumbles*

      I didn't like it, which sucks, because Nikolas showed such promise in the first book of this 'series', and LK is my all-time favorite author and it hurts to have a book of hers I didn't find to be a keeper.

      Personally, I felt like he fell in love with Emelia and not Emma, and then came back to present day and used Emma as a replacement for his lost love. I thought it totally unromantic that he couldn't love Emma, but fell in love with Emelia so easily. And I really hated that at the end of the book, he was pining over a picture of Emelia while Emma was pregnant with his child.

      The off-screen nameless slut was only one of TWO indiscretions in my book.

      I didn't find this book romantic at all and I lost respect for Emma because she didn't kick his ass to the curb. I so would have.

      Sooooo would have....

      By Blogger Sylvia Day, at 4/15/2006 05:37:00 PM  

    2. Ok...this is one of the Kleypas books I wasn't too sure about for quite some time...the fact that the heroine can still smell the sex on the hero when he comes home after a night of F-ing really made me want to beat the shit out of him at the time...I did ultimately enjoy the book.

      Midnight Angel, the first in this series, is my least favorite Kleypas...I think primarily because the love story went a tad too quickly for my taste. Still a good book, but not DREAMING OF YOU!

      By Blogger romancelover, at 4/15/2006 07:16:00 PM  

    3. I read this one years ago and was never tempted to reread it like so many of her other books. I don't remember the story so much but I do know I didn't care for Nicolas nearly as much as I would have like to. He was intriguing in Midnight Angel, but the promise of his character just didn't work out so good in this one.

      By Blogger Kristie (J), at 4/16/2006 05:57:00 AM  

    4. Sybil, you described the way I felt about this book to a T! In Midnight Angel, Nicholas had shown so much promise, and I was really looking forward to Prince of Dreams, but he was so assholic I could have stabbed him in the eye with a sharp instrument. Emma should also have been a lot strong and she showed a lot of promise, but she turned into a wimp of the highest order.

      Although Nicholas implied that he was going out to get a woman, I honestly didn't believe that LK would let him go through with it, so when he came home smelling of sex, I was appalled.

      My least fave book so far for obvious reasons.

      By Blogger Karen Scott, at 4/20/2006 03:41:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home