My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    4/17/2005
    The Man For Her by Alice Valdal
    The Man for Her is really a sad book. I went back and forth with feeling like I wanted to slap some sense into lottie and thinking awww true love will wait a lifetime. But I had a hard time with the setup, I had a hard time believing she was in love and loved in return. I think you are suppose to feel that way, given that Patrick isn't the hero of the book but I just couldn't get past it or stop thinking about it.

    Patrick and Lottie's story is pretty much...
    A woman and man fall in love. He buys some nice property for them to settle down and raise a family but first he goes off to look for gold - one last time. THEN he is going to come home, marry her and they will live HEA. 10 years later, she is still waiting.

    10 years! She has been waiting for him for 10 years, with their son! Now I could never decide if he did or did not know about the son when he left, but he knew he fucked her and I am taking a guess he knew where babies came from.

    So explain why any man in love, really in love, would leave his love alone, unmarried and maybe carrying his child in 1876. Even if I could buy that he would leave her for his golden whore, just one last time, why wouldn't he marry her first?

    That sort of soured the whole thing for me, even though Patrick is never really in the story, he is apart of it.

    The book opens with it being 1886 and 'Crazy Lottie' running into Sean O'Connor. Their eyes met and for just a moment Lottie thinks Patrick has finally come home to her. You very quickly find out Sean is his cousin. And he tell her, the day after he follows her to her ranch looking for work so he can earn money to (you guessed it) go find gold and make his fortune. I love that isn't some big ol secret he is Patrick's cousin and we don't suffer from the BIGMIS.

    All in all the story is nicely written, for what I think is a first time writer. But I could never buy Patrick was a good man or he had been in love. And I so couldn't see a woman (who was pretty much a lady at the start), alone, making a ranch successful in this time frame.

    Has anyone heard of Alice Valdal?
    5 Comments:
    1. You got further than I did. I have no idea why but after only some 30 pages, I stopped reading it. But I do have an intention to finish TMFH. Some day. :)

      By Blogger lost, at 4/17/2005 01:02:00 PM  

    2. Interesting. I kept seeing this cover at the bookstore, but since I hadn't heard ANYTHING online, I didn't pick it up. Now I guess I won't. Doesn't seem like the book for me.

      By Blogger Nicole, at 4/17/2005 01:20:00 PM  

    3. You should finish it. I had picked it up a few times and never made it past the first pages but for whatever reason blew through it this morning/lastnight.

      By Blogger sybil, at 4/17/2005 01:38:00 PM  

    4. Well now I'm really waffling. I've almost bought this book twice now. Now I'm wondering if I just shouldn't wait until I stumble across a copy at the UBS....

      By Blogger Wendy, at 4/19/2005 07:17:00 PM  

    5. I'm with sybil. You should finish it.
      I'm a big history fan, especially about the gold rushes, and you'd be surprised at the stories. Some women waited for their men and made a success of their lives, others didn't.
      I'm glad I read it. I enjoyed it.

      Solveig

      By Blogger sol, at 5/18/2005 11:43:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home