My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    1/30/2006
    Smooch Ya
    Have you or your kiddos read any books from the Smooch line? It says in the guidelines: As our primary audience is girls ages 12-16, there should be no sex scenes. I am wondering if they are ok for a just turned 12 year old. Sis's birthday is the 9th and I always get her a book with her gift.

    I was thinking of Got Fangs? but I am not sure if that is still a lil old for her. I think nicole, you read this right?

    I noticed Circus of the Darned just came out, which lead to smooch site (owned by Dorchester). And I keep being drawn to I'm So Jinxed! because the talk to the hand cover amuses me.

    My problem is A. I have no memory and B. the sis and I are sooooo different. Hell at 12 I was reading Jackie Collins, Sidney Sheldon and VC Andrews. None of which I would buy for the lil sis.

    She is a huge fan of Joan Lowery Nixon.. oddly enough her mystery/horror books like: The Haunting, The Weekend was Murder, The Stalker, Murdered, My Sweet, The Kidnapping of Christina Lattimore so forth and so on... sadly she has no interest in her historical books. The author wrote over 100 before she passed away in 2003. I say oddly enough because she takes after her father (the policeman) and is a wussy when it comes to movies but loves for books to scare her. go figure...

    For christmas I got her Chestnut Hill: Making Strides which is a spin off of the Heartland series. It was sooooooooo sad, the poor thing didn't know the series had ended with book 20 and was way looking forward to the next one. She was crushed to hear it was over. But does lurve the new series.

    The 3rd in the Chestnut Hill series Heart of Gold has a March 1, 2006 release date. So I am thinking that will be a miss for her bday.

    I also got her The Clique by Lisi Harrison. It looks about her age and the reviews I saw around xmas seemed ok. I read the first two chapters and flipped through to see if the cussing jumped at out at me.

    It didn't. And she liked it, where if it was horrid, she would run to mom and tell her. I tell ya the kiddo is weird. But there is some scene where the girls are watching some boy undress, which wigged out my aunt. AND it made this amazon list - which I am not sure how much stock I put in amazon lists but still... it makes you go hmmmm the best trashy novels.

    So... the question? What do I get my soon to be 12 year old sister for her birthday book?
    4 Comments:
    1. Has she ever read any books by Lois Duncan? I was reading books by Duncan at 12 so I wouldn't think they're too old for her. They're classified as young adult books. Anyway, Duncan writes mostly mystery/horror books. My favorites of Duncans books was "The Third Eye" and "Ransom"

      And the book I really loved around that age was "The Face on the Milk Carton" by Caroline B. Cooney. Which is another mystery-ish story.

      By Blogger Samantha, at 1/30/2006 06:44:00 PM  

    2. hee I knew I liked you for a reason ;)

      I adore Duncan and have bought her two... And she said they were ok but not really scary at all.

      hmph. I got her The Third Eye and I Know What You Did Last Summer.

      By Blogger sybil, at 1/30/2006 09:18:00 PM  

    3. What grade is 12? All my memories are classified by grade, not by age. If 12 is 6th grade I was reading a lot of Christopher Pike. Horror-ish without actually being nightmarish. Plus there was sex (well somewhat explicit groping, but the deed wasn't explicit) and bad words. What more could a 12 year old want?

      I liked his older stuff better than the stuff I think he's writing now (or at least, last time I checked). He used to write about regular kids who were just evil, then he switched to monsters and aliens and that wasn't my thing.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/31/2006 09:44:00 AM  

    4. My daughter is 14 & loves the Cirque du Freak series by Darren Shan. Vampires, murder & mayhem. Gotta love it.

      Also, books by Cornelia Funke are popular around my house. Different author, but really good-The Giver & Gathering Blue.

      Good for giggles & Brit pop slang are the books by Louise Rennison. Sample title- Angus, Thongs & Full Frontal Snogging. Even ouor 10 y.o. Son loves these.

      If you need more reccs gimme a holler.

      By Blogger Bob & Muffintop, at 1/31/2006 10:10:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home