My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    6/02/2005
    One Night of Sin by Gaelen Foley
    Being the messageboard slut that I am I have already posted about this book here and here in the Readers' Roundtable.

    Honestly the more I think about this book the more I like it and I liked it tons to start.

    One Night of Sin by Gaelen Foley is a great follow up to Devil Takes a Bride.

    By the time you get to this book, our hero Lord Alexander Knight, has been a gambler, a rake, a whore, a disappointment to his family and a disappointment to himself. One of my favorite parts of this book is, he is what he is and we read that and we read the change that takes place in Alec. We don't end one book with a bad ol Alec to start the next with HERO Alec.

    Miss Becky Ward has had a pretty shitty week to end a pretty shitty few months (I think, the time frame evol cousin Prince Mikhail Kurkov had been at Talbot Hall is not said or I missed it). She has fled to London, alone, to try and find Westland and tell him about evol cousin's evil doings.

    Becky has had an odd youth, part of it on a navy ship and part of it in a small country village at Talbot Old Hall. There are times I think she borders on Too Stupid but really for a young woman with no experience being on her own in a big city she does pretty well. And she has a mean aim with a candlesnuffer.

    Alec and Becky come together out of need and want. Alec sees a soiled dove, a young woman just this side of ruin, who is alone and needs help. And in a way I think he sees himself in her and how his life could have turned out if someone 'good' had helped him when he needed it. Alec carries a lot of pain under his rakish smile and good looks, and Becky is just the lass to help him work through his angst.

    Don't get me wrong, he sees her on the wrong side of ruin and is glad for it cuz he wants her. Where I would say he would have helped her without getting laid in the process, he never makes it a secret he wants her. And to Becky, the first kind person, the first 'let me help you', the first food, shelter or comfort she has been offered comes from a really good looking kind man, who wants to have sex with her. She wants him too, knowing what her options are and what is most likely waiting for her at home - she takes him up on his 'one night of sin'.

    A large part of the book takes place with just the H/H. And I am a sucker for that. I love alone time, I love good banter, I love cabin romances - although this doesn't really count but it is some what close, in a way.

    Alec needs to save becky and through her he finds a way to let her save him. I hate to go into too much detail and spoil anything I shouldn't. But I think comments are far game, so I look forward to hearing what you think about the book.

    The first page made me giggle because it is purple as all get out but honestly I don't think the rest of the book holds up to its hue. It is almost like Foley knows people call her purple and was making fun of it. I mean honestly the first paragraph:
    Fiery swords of lightning clashed across the sable sky. Great rolling clouds flung down a warning spatter of rain. Thunder growled in the distance, but the only sound in the dark, empty street was the frantic percussion of the girl's running footfalls.

    Every step jarred her in her thin kid half boots. Her dingy skirts swirled about her legs, threatening to trip her. Fleeing the glow of lanterns on the broad avenue, she raced up a murky side street, her long hair tangled and wild. Her pale young face was stark with terror as she glanced over her shoulder and pounded on, her fists clenched, her breath raking harshly through her gritted teeth.

    But I cross my heart I don't think the rest of the book read that purple. really!
    3 Comments:
    1. Yay! I was waiting to hear the buzz on this one before buying it cuz I was disappointed in Lizzie's story. Your review will have me waddling to the bookstore first thing tomorrow :)

      By Blogger Gigi, at 6/02/2005 11:19:00 PM  

    2. Oh. My. God. Guilty pleasure alert! I haven't picked up a Gaelen Foley book in years.

      Might actually have to check this one out.

      MUST... RESIST... SPENDING... MORE... MONEY...

      OK, I'm done channeling shatner now.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/03/2005 09:41:00 AM  

    3. Giselle:
      can't wait to hear what you have to say, hope you like it ;)

      candy:
      come on you know you wanna... it is selling at wallyworld so you can get it for 4.88. I haven't seen it at any ubs yet.

      By Blogger sybil, at 6/03/2005 10:12:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home