My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit goodbadandunread and update your bookmarks.

My Reviews
Books
Guest Author Schedule
EBUZZ: It's What's for Dinner!
Don't You Want to E-review Too?
Author Interviews
  • comingsoon - Karen Kelley
  • comingsoon - Caroline Linden
  • comingsoon Avon Red: Sylvia Day, Toni Blake, Cathryn Fox, Leda Swann, Delilah Devlin
  • Authors in Blogland
    Reader Blogs
    Author Blogs
    About Me
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas, United States
    Search

    The Good, The Bad, and the Unread
    web
    Previous Posts
    Recent Comments
    Reading and Reviewing
    Upcoming Books
    This and That
    Archives
    Count Bar
    eXTReMe Tracker

    2/01/2006
    Amazon... being all you want it to be and more
    Am I the only one that gets a feeling that one days Amazon will be like MTV? Instead of wondering why they never play music videos we will wonder where the books are. It shocks me how many different types of things you can get on amazon and how many people they have as Featured Partners from Target to WeightWatchers

    Hell you can even get movie showtimes... who knew?

    Does anyone use these features? Do you find that you get better deals that way? Why go through amazon vs the regular sites... like target.com?

    Do you think the books suffer for this? Or the book buyer? What features do you use?

    Do you view the 'recommended for you' page? If so how often: once a day, once a week, once a month, hardly ever or even never? Do you find that they recommend books you would read?

    Do you have a wishlist? Is it private or public and what in the heck are those 'tags? hee am I the only one who clicks off the 'I Own It' or 'Not interested' buttons? And if you rate it without leaving a review... does that mean anything?

    Do you leave reviews there or copy your blog or website reviews to amazon?

    And the question that got me started thinking on this all.... have you ever created a list on amazon? You know one of those 2006 Historical Romance books coming soon type lists. What made you decide to make one?

    Give us a link so we can go lookie! Hell they even have discussion boards now, wow that is a flame war waiting to happen.
    13 Comments:
    1. I use Amazon for one thing and one thing only... Books.

      And no, I can't be arsed making booklists on it either. I'll leave that to the the Harriet Klausner's of this world. Me, I'm too damned lazy.

      By Blogger Karen Scott, at 1/31/2006 04:46:00 PM  

    2. I bought a purse and dvd's from Amazon. I was just too lazy to hit the Mall and it was so convient- just click and buy from home. And I visit listmania for interracial romances cause those readers lists are better than Amazon's power search.

      By Blogger erika, at 1/31/2006 08:03:00 PM  

    3. I'll look at the lists sometimes to see what people have grouped together. Occasionally I'll check off or rate something I already have that's been rec'd for me.

      I made a wishlist when Amazon was holding a contest but I haven't added anything since it ended.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/31/2006 09:29:00 PM  

    4. I've bought books, DVDs, CDs and a magazine subscription through Amazon. The most bizarre thing I ever ordered off Amazon? Humidifier filters.

      I don't have a wish list anymore, but I do rate my reads over there. I like to peruse through and see what Amazon "recommends" to me every now and then. These recommendations aren't terribly useful, but it kills time and it's sort of like browsing at a real bookstore only I'm less likely to spend money.

      By Blogger Wendy, at 1/31/2006 09:29:00 PM  

    5. I mostly buy books on-line off of Barnes and Noble's site. Unless B&N doesn't have the book I'm looking for or it's out of print then I go to Amazon. Otherwise I mostly just buy a few DVD's and once in a while maybe a pair of shoes or something.

      I do use the recommendations though. I look at the list at least once a week. It's handy if you get in a rut and need some ideas for books to check out. Even if you do check that you own HP and they recommend you a toaster.

      And I do rate books not interested/owned and stuff. I used to post my book reviews there too but stopped after a while.

      By Blogger Samantha, at 1/31/2006 09:34:00 PM  

    6. I panicked there a month ago when I discovered that Amazon only had 28 books to recommend to me!!

      I use the recommend feature and rate books and click the Not Interested. It has helped a few times but it's like Wendy said, browsing without spending the money.

      Being Canadian, I don't even buy from the Amazon.com site unless I am sending a gift to someone in the States - which I have done.

      I use Amazon like a tool for finding information about books and sometimes I look at the consumer reviews for other products that I *have* to buy in Canada because they don't ship to me.

      I haven't ever done a review or made a list. Some list are silly because they'll just list the backlist of one author. Well, hell, I could have done that. Other's are extremely helpful when they post many different authors in a list. I think that is how I discovered Kim Harrison - a kick-ass heroine list where I had read and enjoyed most of the titles.

      CindyS

      By Blogger CindyS, at 1/31/2006 11:29:00 PM  

    7. KarenS:ohhh tis tuesday I need to check out the interview ;). Books are the only thing I use it for, but I did just order Grey's season one for my mom. Less than 20! One season of the xfiles started at over 150. bastards...

      I think I am too lazy to do it as well, I have thought about it. But couldn't for the life of me think why it would be worth the time.

      erika:We are one sorry lot of lazy readers ;). This will sound dumb but what is 'power search'? Is that different than just entering in the name of the book or author?

      Jay: you contest!whore, I love you man... of course I would love you more if you would tell me of said contests before they are over ;)

      By Blogger sybil, at 1/31/2006 11:50:00 PM  

    8. Wendy:ME too! But now that I have that prime thing for three months, I have to be careful. That one-click is sooooooo tempting.

      Sam:Why? Everytime I look B&N is more than amazon. Do you know a secret? Share with the class ;).

      Cindy:Hon it doesn't take much to make either of us panicked :). And you are welcome to send stuff to me. hee for the next three months you can give me a list, paypal me, and the shipping to my house is free and there is no tax. Of course you should look into how much it would cost to ship from me to you. But if that works out better for you, just let me know.

      By Blogger sybil, at 1/31/2006 11:53:00 PM  

    9. So far I've only ordered books from Amazon but I do occasionally use it to find information on other things. It's a great place to "bring it all together" information-wise, at least from a consumer's perspective. And some of their "how to choose" pages are the best I've found.

      By Blogger Bev (BB), at 2/01/2006 09:14:00 AM  

    10. I use Amazon for mainly books and the occasional DVD. But they do come in handy during Christmas because there's no way I'm going anywhere near the mall.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/01/2006 11:19:00 AM  

    11. I have one of those discount card things from B&N and most of the books I buy from there are the same price as Amazon, unless it's a used book. Then Amazon is cheaper.

      By Blogger Samantha, at 2/01/2006 07:47:00 PM  

    12. bev: I wonder how many people use them for info then buy elsewhere.

      Sheila: I start to hear prince everytime I type your name ;) I tell myself I will do xmas online EVERY YEAR and then don't.

      Sam: ssssssooooooooo that B&N card is worth the 25 bucks?

      By Blogger sybil, at 2/01/2006 09:53:00 PM  

    13. power search same thing as advance search.

      By Blogger erika, at 2/01/2006 11:14:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home